Pig Pen and Watery Poop

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by HeyHo, Jul 16, 2019.

1. HeyHo

HeyHo Songster

May 17, 2018
    Massachusetts
    I have two chickens with hopefully minor issues:

(1) Ginger (aka Pig Pen). 15 month old, Golden Comet hen. Very reliable layer, near the bottom of the pecking order, but no other issues and otherwise vigorous and healthy. She is my most adventurous and vocal girl. Very good dust bather, but refuses to shake out afterwards. She walks around with soil pouring out of her fluff ... sometimes for a day or two. And she's always got feathers askew, despite preening just as much as the others. Ginger simply looks like a total disaster (and always has, this is not a new issue). I try to just ignore it and not choose her for spot checks for lice/mites, because she's always a mess and not like any of my other girls, who are very tidy. Are some chickens just dirtier than others? Or should I be worried?

(2) Alice. 4 month old, Specked Sussex. Regular, brown watery poop. Sometimes her stool is normal and solid, but usually it is not. She is otherwise perfect -- absolutely no issues whatsoever. FWIW, I had a SS cockerel last year, from the same hatchery, with the exact same issue (had to re-home because of volume). Both the cockerel and Alice seem(ed) drink a lot, more than the other chicks, so I wasn't/haven't been too worried. I know the forums say to get a fecal test from the vet, but is that really necessary if no other chickens in the flock have this issue? If it is worms, wouldn't more than one have similar pooping problems? Maybe she's just lactose intolerant or has IBS or something. Ideas?

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Glen St Mary, Florida
    I had a good laugh at Ginger aka Pig Pen lol. She reminds me of a couple of my Light Brahma's that look scruffy after dust bathing and dont shake themselves off, except when I try to pick one of them up and then I get dusted as well.
    I wouldnt worry about Ginger, she's fine.

As far as Alice is concerned, if temps are warmer than normal where you live, birds will drink more water and will get watery diarrhea. Same thing if they are fed too much watermelon. Stop all treats if you're giving them any. Mix buttermilk with chopped boiled egg in their feed for a couple days, then just buttermilk mixed in feed for a couple more days. That should take care of the diarrhea. Make sure her rear end is feces free, you dont want fly strike to occur.

3. HeyHo

HeyHo Songster

May 17, 2018
    Massachusetts
    Thanks @dawg53! My girls don't get many treats, just veggies and mealworms these days, but I will suspend those and get some buttermilk!

dawg53 likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: