Pig Problem?

mtnhomechick

Songster
11 Years
Jun 27, 2008
Mountain Home, AR
Ok........as some of you know, I just got two little pigs.

Well, they're not eating.

I put regular pig food out for them and yesterday I threw some bread and apples in there to try and make nice with them.

They just lay UNDER the shed I have for them. I put straw in the shed but they lay under it.

They are scared to death of me and won't come out when I am in there.

Yesterday they did come out for awhile but not when we were around.

Could they have been treated that badly by the breeder?

They were castrated two days ago right before they got here.

Any thoughts on this?

I would think they should be hungry and eating like pigs!

Thanks,

Mary

When my barrows are neutered they go off their feed for a while. I would too! OUCH!
hmm.png

Are these the pigs that are 4 weeks old? Around here no one weans pigs before 8 weeks.

They need to eat. You may have to pull them out to an area where you can get your hands on them and feed them. I would make a wet warm food mush and try to get something in them.

The shock of being castrated on top of the stress of a new home and the winter weather is a recipe for distaster.

Do you have an inside stall you can put them in with a heat lamp, warm molassis water and warm mush to eat?

Quote:
There 4 mos. old according to the woman who sold them to me.

I have a warm shed for them but they won't go in it.

I can't get them to come withing 20 feet of me........they are scared of me I guess.

They just lay under the shed.

Have someone help you round them up and put them inside. My grandfather used to do the warm molasses thing and warm milk with oats. I know it sounds weird but I used to sit or crouch down and make pig sounds, they came right over. Theres my dad running around trying to catch them and there I sat. Get down on their level and spend some time with them but for right now you have to get them in a pen and trying to eat.

Quote:
lots of guys around here feed them day old bread, donuts, my uncle used to feed pierogies from the local plant. fruit and veggies.

Quote:
lots of guys around here feed them day old bread, donuts, my uncle used to feed pierogies from the local plant. fruit and veggies.

Put bread in there yesterday and it's still there......frozen and stale. Hmmmm

Your biggest issue is going to get them out from under the shed...and INTO the shed. Get someone to help you. Yes it may stress them a little, but they NEED to be warm..or will catch pneumonia. Once you get them in the shed...provide a little heat..and sit with them. Sit in the corner, quietly....let them settle down into a thick layer of straw. Get warm milk....and raw eggs...and some oatmeal. I have used jars of home made jam or jelly as well. They sure go for the sweet stuff. Getting some warm sweet milk will help get them eating. Good luck, I hope you can get them inside!!

Back
Top Bottom