1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pig Question.

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by randomchick, Sep 17, 2009.

1. randomchick

randomchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2009
    Prescott, Ontario
    I have 2 pigs. BlackPiggy and Porkchop. One we want to breed for more piggies next year, and the other, well the name Porkchop says it all. I have already found a stud for BlackPiggy and a butcher for Porkchop. I know that pigs are very social and need a partner.I plan on breeding BlackPiggy in the winter so she will give birth in the spring.
    So my question is, will it work to butcher Porkchop, and buy another neutered male (porkchop#2) to keep her company after Porkchop is gone until I breed her and she has her piglets? Then when she has her piglets, porkchop#2 will meet the butcher. Does this make sense for me to do it this way? Or is there a better solution?
    I am new to pigs, these being my first 2, but I absolutely love raising them. They are so smart and respectful.

2. cameldairy

cameldairy Out Of The Brooder

Jul 20, 2009
    Cairo, GA
    Yes your plan will work just fine, Blackpiggy may be a little rough on porkchop #2 to begin with but they should work things out pretty quick. Like you said, pigs are VERY smart. I myself have 2 future porkers in the pen. [​IMG]

3. randomchick

randomchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2009
    Prescott, Ontario
    thank you, I hope Blackpiggy won't be too hard on the future porkchop#2.

4. logansterling

logansterling Out Of The Brooder

Sep 2, 2009
    I dont have a whole ton of experience but I have dealt with a few pregnant sows. Once she gets a little further along, she will probably be happier with out the stress of a new pig, and once she has the piglets you will want to keep her away from the new pig as well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by