Pig with Ear Falling OFF HELP!!!!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by AAtteberry, May 22, 2019.

1. AAtteberry

AAtteberry Hatching

May 22, 2019
    Hey Everyone. I have a a three week old piglet with his ear peeling off it is almost completely off. I was wondering what I need to do since no Vets can get to me anytime soon. It doesn't seem to be bothering him and he still has a healthy appetite. He will let me inspect and pull on it as much as a squiggling pig will let you. I have kept him separate when I notice a small cut that healed okay without infection but his ear as turned hard and black after it healed. I have the basic farm supplies and medicine but any more advice would be appreciated on how to handle the ear falling off.

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Puppy Dreaming

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Could you share pictures?

3. Shadow Source

Shadow Source Songster

May 25, 2018
    Central Oregon
    Living on a farm, I would either cull it, or cut off it's ear. If you choose the ladder, I would get a sharp knife, and just cut it off, all the way to the end of the black part. After you cut it off, apply corn starch to clot the blood, or some special product designed to do it would be better. Then apply sticky bandage tape. But because of the amount of pain it might cause the piglet I would personally call a vet, or cull it. If you have a vet, call him and see what he says to do. Otherwise it would be better, and more ethical to just cull it.

:hugs

4. cassie

cassie Crowing

Mar 19, 2009
    If it is just the skin it is probably sunburn. I've had that happen, it can be pretty serious, but it is treatable.

5. cassie

cassie Crowing

Mar 19, 2009
    For an ear? How would cutting off a dead ear be any more painful than a routine castration?

6. cassie

cassie Crowing

Mar 19, 2009
    How is the pig? I didn't read the post as carefully as I should have before mentioning sunburn. I have had a lot of pigs with sunburn. None who lost an ear.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: