pigeon books??

Discussion in 'Pigeons and Doves' started by Cloverleaf Farm, Aug 20, 2010.

1. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    My son is 9 years old and in 4H. We are getting a trio of roller pigeons next week from another 4Her, and he has been really good about asking lots of questions of other pigeon owners, and I've been reading alot on here. BUT wondering if you all have any recommendations for a good "how to" pigeon book for him to read? Our local feed stores that have lots of books don't have anything on pigeons. Thanks!

2. First To Hatch

First To Hatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    New York
    Seems like a lot of what is in books can be found on the internet, I personally have no books to recommend because every time I go to buy one I think to myself "Thats worth 7 2 x 4s" theres a couple books I'd like to buy that are more opinionated books then a how to book, but I'll only get those when I have the money to spare.

This seems like a good book for a child.

If you're thinking about getting pigeons, or if you have a child interested in them then this book is fine. If you want more detail on the different breeds, diseases, reproductive system/cycle, or behavior then this book isn't for you. It's not an expensive book and makes for a nice little read, but if you're hardcore pigeon folk then you'll come away from this book disappointed.

One person said this though: "If you're thinking about getting pigeons, or if you have a child interested in them then this book is fine. If you want more detail on the different breeds, diseases, reproductive system/cycle, or behavior then this book isn't for you. It's not an expensive book and makes for a nice little read, but if you're hardcore pigeon folk then you'll come away from this book disappointed."

3. Cloverleaf Farm

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    Quote:I'm sorry....what book? It sounds like what we're looking for...thanks!

4. Cloverleaf Farm

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    Quote:Just wanted to thank you again for the book recommendation. Bought it from amazon, and had it express shipped. My son's been reading it and learning a ton. We got the birds today. He is smitten. THANK YOU!!!!!!

5. Mary Of Exeter

Mary Of Exeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Rowan County, NC
    I hope you get a mate for the 3rd bird. They aren't like chickens; they pair up. So that little guy (or girl?) will be left out of the breeding.

6. larrylofts

larrylofts Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2010
    LOTT TX
    Try This For More Info On Pigeons Npausa.com The National Pigeon Club Site Has Info On Breeders In Your Area Try The District Rep .

7. Cloverleaf Farm

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    Quote:Yeah, I need to do something with her. I've had to seperate her already, as the male has been attacking her and she has a nasty wound on the top of her head. [​IMG]

8. Mary Of Exeter

Mary Of Exeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Rowan County, NC
    Quote:Yeah, I need to do something with her. I've had to seperate her already, as the male has been attacking her and she has a nasty wound on the top of her head. [​IMG]

Aw [​IMG] Well at least she is separated now. And it could have been worse - she could have been a boy and really got into a fight.

9. Towman72gmc

Towman72gmc Chillin' With My Peeps

Maybe not the best book for children, but The Pigeon by Wendall M. Levi. Not published any more but I seem to find it on ebay every few weeks for @$50-70. It is still the most complete book on the domestic pigeon ever written.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by