Pigeon Catching

DotTheHen

Songster
May 6, 2019
My male escaped my aviary and left my female by herself inside. The aviary was repaired but we don’t know how to catch him. The two seem to be a mated pair and they are not let out. So this is the first time he’s really been outside of our aviary. He’s a white homer so hopefully he will come back.

We saw him on top of our barn today, which is nearby the aviary. He flew away after a while. We put the female in a crate inside the aviary and left the door open until it got dark, then we closed it.

The only other place the male has lived is his old owners pigeon breeding aviary about 2 hours from where I live. I don’t think he will fly all the way back there.

What are some tips to catching him? He’s not very tame, so it’s hard for my to catch him even when he’s contained. Should I continue to leave the aviary door open? Thanks for any help. Also, how many days of not seeing him until I start to look for another pigeon for my widow?

EA17CBEA-260B-48D6-88FF-AB48044496F0.jpeg 0818AD97-3F22-4E54-BE9C-B8C57E6D2E3F.jpeg FCF86979-DA66-41F2-B99D-21061B1C2B0E.jpeg 16528181-B719-4676-B47B-0D11B37B1F50.jpeg

The two new hens

What are some tips to catching him? He’s not very tame, so it’s hard for my to catch him even when he’s contained. Should I continue to leave the aviary door open? Thanks for any help. Also, how many days of not seeing him until I start to look for another pigeon for my widow?
I'm sorry to hear this. :(

Continue to leave the aviary door open, with your other pigeon visible but contained. I would wait a solid week before looking for a new bird. I had one come back two weeks ago, it had been missing 5 months! Tough little red check hen:
IMG_20200427_141936.jpg

Homers fly to where they were born and raised.
Raised meaning what? Weaned? Full grown? Flown from?

This isn't always true. Sure, if you buy a year old bird that flew daily it ain't coming back to you if it gets out! But when you buy a year or less old bird that was NEVER flown at the old loft it may resettle. I have settled birds that flew and were over six months. I had kept them inside for two years. Time pays off.

Do multiple breeds get along well together? I love the way the English Owl and Turbit pigeons look, but I don’t want to cause fighting if I have a mixed flock. And on the subject of squabs and mixed flocks, do two different breed pigeons ever breed/bond together? Thanks everyone for all the help :)
Yes! Its fine to mix breeds. They will get along (but there's still going to be a pecking order!). You can cross breed pigeons, that's fine. But when you do, if you ever have to sell them, let the buyer know that they are mutts. To many crosses are sold as pure birds, which is frustrating.

Question: what temperatures become too cold for them? I’m in the southeast, so it never gets below zero, but it can still get cold. I have a smaller little temporary shelter I can put them in when it gets cold. Thanks!
My birds thrive in winter temps to the minus teens. If you think they need a bit more protection from the wind or drafts during your coldest months you could just cover some of the open wire side with some clear plastic. I always leave some openings for ventilation.

No sign of him. I am going to buy two more pigeons this weekend. I will post pictures here. Any specific breed recommendations? My fancier has almost every breed it seems. I plan on just keeping them as pets in the aviary, MAYBE hatch one or two babies.

Back
Top Bottom