Pigeon Coop Fire in Gilroy

Discussion in 'Pigeons and Doves' started by casportpony, Oct 10, 2014.

1. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    This happened down the street from me last Saturday. No homes were lost, but several pigeons and their coops were. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Picture from https://www.facebook.com/pages/Gilroy-Fire-Department/115450808610635
    On Saturday, E47 and Batallion 47 assisted South Santa Clara County Fire Department and CalFire on a structure fire near the intersection of Godfrey Ave and Ferguson Road. Unfortunately, multiple barns and pigeons that were used for breeding were lost in the blaze.

-Kathy

Last edited: Oct 10, 2014
  2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    How very sad. Those birds probably represented the efforts of someone's life and possibly even their livelihood. BE CAREFUL with electricity and heat in your coops.

3. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    It is very sad. While I'm happy no people or homes were lost, I couln't help but feel just horrible when I saw what was burning. Some of the of the people watching were making comments about the piles of poop and spontaneous combustion... those comments really ticked me off, 'cause I know there is no way that the owners would let such piles accumulate.

-Kathy

4. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2014
  5. laughingdog

laughingdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2011
    Newport Tennessee
    I'm disappointed no one was smart n caring enough to open cages n let the capable ones escape at least. what the heck would go through someones mind not thinking those conditions were no good for blow torching feathers? those poor birds..

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by