Pigeon egg?

Discussion in 'Pigeons and Doves' started by TheNewMrsEvans, Jan 16, 2009.

1. TheNewMrsEvans

TheNewMrsEvans Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2008
    Big Sur, CA
    I found two random small eggs today on the ground. One is just cracked, but the other is history. I found one outside of the pen I keep the ducks in and one in. There is a pigeon nest above the door in the pen, but there may be more around the yard. The one which is mostly whole is off-white with grey-ish blotches like a duck egg, but WAY too small, the size of a nickel...is it just a goofy first attempt by a maiden duck, or a pigeon egg? The other one seems a bit larger and more solid white...I need pigeon egg pics!!!

2. 92caddy

92caddy Egg Lover

May 18, 2007
    Portland, IN
    All the pigeon eggs Ive ever seen are all white, my guess is its a pullet or 1st duck egg, just a guess............

3. TheNewMrsEvans

Sep 15, 2008
    Big Sur, CA
    But what is the other one which was outside of the pen? it was also small, and more white...too many eggs! I only have 2 girl ducks [​IMG]

4. morelcabin

morelcabin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2007
    Ontario Canada
    Pigeon eggs turn grey over time when they are fertile. They are laid white though. THey were probably both pigeon eggs

5. TheNewMrsEvans

Sep 15, 2008
    Big Sur, CA
    How big are their eggs? One was a bit bigger...but it wasn't in the duck pen.

6. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    roughly quail egg size

7. therealsilkiechick

therealsilkiechick ShowGirl Queen

Jul 18, 2007
    Northwestern, pa
    [​IMG]

this is a pic of my first welssummer egg beside my frillback pigeon egg. i've never fertile or infertile had a pigeon egg turn grey they r always white.

hope this helps i'll see if i have anymore pics,
    silkie

8. TheNewMrsEvans

Sep 15, 2008
    Big Sur, CA
    Ok that clenches it...the one i found by the barn is a pigeon egg. The one in the duck pen is too small to be that! It must be Matilda's 1st egg [​IMG] HAHAHAHAHA! I'm taking a pic [​IMG]

9. TheNewMrsEvans

Sep 15, 2008
    Big Sur, CA
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by