pigeon egg ?

Discussion in 'Pigeons and Doves' started by gaeamama, Apr 2, 2009.

1. gaeamama

gaeamama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2007
    WMass.
    I removed two eggs from my pigeons nest yesterday that I thought were from a girl that was lost last week.

I have two parents that hatched babies approx 11 days or so ago. I have not seen those parents with the eggs at all, so I removed the eggs and put them in the incubator yesterday, thinking I'd like to have her offspring. Well, I just candled them and there is definitely development.. certainly more than 1 day's worth!

What should I do now? Should I put the eggs back out there and let the parents finish? They were both in that nest this morning. Or do I just have to keep them in the incubator and guess when they should hatch?

2. citalk2much

citalk2much Twilight Blessings Farm

Dec 22, 2008
    GR MI: TN bound!
    I would see if the parents will hatch them. Baby pigeons really do better on crop milk. Plus they are no joy to hand feed.

3. gaeamama

Jun 17, 2007
    WMass.
    yes, I'd rather the parents raise them.
    I'm just concerned if they don't take the eggs, they'll die.

4. citalk2much

Dec 22, 2008
    You will have to watch them very close is after a time they are not sitting them pull them back and put in the bator

5. gaeamama

Jun 17, 2007
    WMass.
    haha like your usename! took me a couple time reading it to get it! [​IMG]

I will try that... tonight or tomorrow, when I know I have some time to really watch them. With 3 kids running around, it's likely to be tomorrow morn when they're all off at school.

6. citalk2much

Dec 22, 2008
    Thank you LOL

Best of luck let me know how it goes

7. BeckyBird

BeckyBird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2008
    Here is a neat link I found, on how to make a pigeon/dove handfeeding tool....

http://www.internationaldovesociety.com/Recipes/FeedingTip/easyhandfeeding.htm

Also, look up a good recipe for pigeon milk, if you want to handfeed the babies. I handfed a pigeon and a dove before, but they were several days old--not newly hatched. If you have the time and dedication, handfeeding is very rewarding!

8. gaeamama

Jun 17, 2007
    WMass.
    Thanks for that link! I just might have to do this. Yesterday everytime I went out to the coop, both parents were in the nest, and i didn't want to chance getting flailed by them both trying to put eggs under them! I'll keep my eyes on it today.. it's supposed to be warmer and sunny!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by