Pigeon Food and Diet

Discussion in 'Pigeons and Doves' started by Peaches Lee, Nov 27, 2011.

1. Peaches Lee

Peaches Lee Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    Alright, so I started this topic because it needs to settle an argument between my father and I LOL! [​IMG]

Background story: At my farm we have wild pigeons, and one young pigeon (like just learning to fly) was attacked by a cat. Well my father found him, put him in a carrier and "saved" him. So, now he has grown, but cannot fly due to a messed up wing. He has a very normal life considering the handicap, and shares a coop (horse stall) with my Silkie flock. Here he eats the food that they get, and I mean, he eats everything they get, their layer feed, scratch grains AND scrambled egg and hard-boiled egg!

Now, a long time ago I read that pigeons do not eat meat, only grains. But this little pigeon chows down meat just like the chickens, so I think, he thinks, he's a chicken. [​IMG] I have another horse stall that has two bachelor Silkie roos and they have pigeons come down and eat the chicken food, but will not touch the egg scramble or hard boiled eggs at all! Last night was hilarious, this pigeon got right in the bowl and started hogging down the egg scramble and my grey Silkie, Gandalf, was so mad, she grabbed his wing feathers and was pulling him out! He didn't care, just kept on eating the eggs!

So, is this little guy following by example, or do pigeons occasionally snack on meat products?

2. mochicken

mochicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    NW Missouri
    I think pigeons are just opportunistic feeders, they will eat what is available if they are hungry and if it sees the chickens eating the stuff then he probably thinks its just fine for him lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by