Pigeon found in Fleetwood, PA

Discussion in 'Pigeons and Doves' started by scbatz33, Sep 6, 2009.

1. scbatz33

scbatz33 No Vacancy, Belfry Full

Jan 23, 2009
    South GA
    Anyone lost a homing pigeon? We have one that showed up on the farm and appears quite lost. It arrived aprox Wed morning outside of Fleetwood, PA. If you know this bird, pm me with it's band number and we can get you back together.

Thanks,
    Sarah

2. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    You should check out the pigeon talk forum. It's like BYC, but for pigeons. They have a section "I found a pigeon - now what?". Depending on the type of band, you should be able to email whatever club the band is for and get the owner's information when you send them the band number.

Here's the link to the pigeon forum: http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/index.php

Good
    luck!

3. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    I found one too and from what I have found out, most or alot of racing pigeon owners do not want the lost ones back. They got lost so they are not good racers and will be culled.

4. Mary Of Exeter

Mary Of Exeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Rowan County, NC
    That isn't always true. I know a lot of racers who would definitely give their bird another chance.
    I race my homers and we've went a 200 mile round trip just to pick up one of mine. 'Lucky #7' is still sitting in the loft right now sleeping. If it were my bird, I'd want it back in a heartbeat, even if it meant sending a box and shipping money. Most of the time when people don't want the birds back, it's because it would cost too much to go and get it.

Many lost racers learn valuable lessons while out in the 'wild', and actually improve in the races one they start back up again. So really, a lot of those people are being silly for giving up on the bird just because it happened to go the wrong way or get injured/worn out [​IMG]

What is the band number? If it's traceable, I can get you some contact info and ask if they want it back or not. Ask if it will be culled if it is returned...so that instead you can just keep it as a pet.

5. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    Already traced it by the number and they didn't want it back. It is now my pet.

6. Mary Of Exeter

Mary Of Exeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Rowan County, NC
    Ah. I'm glad you could take it in! [​IMG]

7. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Most do want them back, sometimes a storm could blow them off course. Some young birds lost, have been returned and complete the next race.

link to find out who the owner is.

http://www.pigeon.org/lostbirdinfo.htm

8. Terri

Terri Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2008
    Level Cross, NC
    we had someone bring in a lost pigeon with a leg band, went online, left losts of messages, noone ever called back, nursed back to health, built nice house for it outside, stayed about a week, then flew away. i hope it made its way back home.

9. deerman

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Quote:Your bird may have been in a one loft race. That is where people ship squeaker from good racers. Shipped to out of state race and all birds raced back to one loft.

you still could have a good racer, people sent their best to these one loft race. pay about 100.00 entry fees, winners can win 50,000 to 300,000 in these races

10. deerman

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    sorry double post

Last edited: Oct 17, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by