pigeon gender

Discussion in 'Pigeons and Doves' started by aarontheman, Dec 12, 2012.

1. aarontheman

aarontheman Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2012
    Ireland dublin
    hello how can i get an accurate reading if a pigeon is male or female than you allot !

2. Hokum Coco

Hokum Coco Overrun With Chickens

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada
    If it lays an egg it is a female. I had pigeons for years and I still make mistakes. The males are usually a bit larger (not always) and more iridescent. In the image below the one on the right is the male of the mated pair. They are more vocal and begin to strut in semicircles when near a receptive female. If you post a picture I will give you my best educated guess I am usually 90 percent accurate if it is an adult pigeon. Hope this helps.

[​IMG]

Yours truly,
    Hokom Coco

Last edited: Dec 12, 2012
  3. aarontheman

aarontheman Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2012
    Ireland dublin
    thank you and i will try to get a pic of them tomorrow because its night where i live
    i would like more answers from anyone thank you

4. laughingdog

laughingdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2011
    Newport Tennessee
    oddly the roll off method on youtube, seems to be a good secondary method of confirmation. gently tucking their head behind and laying them down in your hand upside down, and males supposedly will always roll off immediately and females just stay their. i can only assume this works at least somewhat as male homers may develop stronger necks and generally be less submissive. i just judge by my best guess and usually lucky. lol

5. arcy liger

arcy liger Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2012
    OHHHHH
    I brought one as a female but was a young male...i think they are sexed by their neck feathers..

6. laughingdog

laughingdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2011
    Newport Tennessee
    males mostly do puff up the neck feathers more, but only very few breeds or color morphs are actually at all sexually dimorphic to the human eye. i have a a theory that the irideciant reflection as humans percieve, is refracted as certain sexual dimorphic like neon billboard to other birds, as seen females and males come form far away acting in role to one immediately, with not visual or audiable cues to it from each other as total strangers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by