pigeon help...need advice asap

Discussion in 'Pigeons and Doves' started by Willjg, Dec 19, 2008.

1. Willjg

Willjg Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2008
    Tuckerton
    Hey there,

I have Lahore pigeons...
    I had one pair sitting tight on eggs that were due to hatch in another week, the problem is the male suddenly died (no signs of illness...I think maybe he hurt himself or flew into the wall of the coop or something)...
    Can the female raise the babies on her own? I've never heard of that or experienced this before... I don't want to lose her and am afraid rearing the young by herself would be too much of a strain on her. Should I take the eggs away now before the hatch draws closer???

Please help. Thank you!
    Bill.

2. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I don't have any experience with that. I know both parents raise the young. I would think she would be able to, either that or she will abandon the squabs. I'm not sure how that works. I hope everything works out for you.

3. Willjg

May 9, 2008
    Tuckerton
    Thanks.

I've been asking some pigeon friends and they seem to think I should just let her try...I'm just nervous about it being too much for a single mom pigeon, especially since she is with other males...I just need to decide soon.

Take Care,
    Bill.

4. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    You might need to put a heat light by her nest, so the squabs don't get too cold when she has to leave them alone. Other than that I really don't know. I would think she would sacrifice the babies before she lets herself get too bad off.

5. velo99

velo99 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 26, 2008
    Amarillo
    Ca you foster them?
    v99

6. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    She may not set the eggs, in most cases if the squeakers are older she can raise them. No harm in her raising them my herself, not like she has to fly and hunt for food.

7. Willjg

May 9, 2008
    Tuckerton
    Thanks Everyone,

Its ok, I chickened out and took the eggs away...I just didn't want to risk losing her or possibly babies a couple weeks from now. She is already pairing up with one of the other males, so hopefully in a month or so maybe I'll see eggs in her nest again. :)

Take Care,
    Bill.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by