1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pigeon I building

Discussion in 'Pigeons and Doves' started by vamiot, Aug 11, 2014.

1. vamiot

vamiot New Egg

Aug 11, 2014
    I am working at a new hockey arena and a pigeon is on the rafter laying on eggs the problem is the building will soon be closed in and I'm worried she won't get out, I could get her easy cause of the place she is in and her eggs also. What should I do

2. lightchick

lightchick Overrun With Chickens

Apr 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    The dad is probably there too. The dad usually sits on the nest from 9:00 am to 5:00 or 6:00 p.m.
    The mother will usually sit on the nest the rest of the time. If you want to save them you'll probably have to trap them. You probably won't be able to save the eggs. I'd just take them somewhere else. Make sure it's very far away from the place they are now or you can keep them in a cage or something until the building is closed off.

3. vamiot

vamiot New Egg

Aug 11, 2014
    When I come in around 7 the bird is on the eggs, I think we can get him easy, the problem is will the female come to sit on the eggs if the male is gone, and the eggs have cooled off, what if I just took the eggs so they would leave, right now a door is open so they can fly in and out , but soon it will be rocked shut

Last edited: Aug 13, 2014
  4. jak2002003

jak2002003 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 24, 2009
    Thailand
    Can you just wait will the building is shut off and finished.. then catch the pigeons that are in there and let them go outside.. then they can't come back in right?

5. lightchick

lightchick Overrun With Chickens

Apr 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    x2!

6. vamiot

vamiot New Egg

Aug 11, 2014
    Well I don't know how long till they do shut it and how will they find water and food when they do shut it off.I may not be there that long, so if I take the eggs at least they can leave while it's still open and they can mate for next year

7. paramount

paramount Out Of The Brooder

Aug 4, 2014
    West Coast
    If you remove one bird of the pair, the other bird will come to the nest and resume both shifts except for getting feed and water. Then you can get the second bird. You could probably get both of them if you do it at night when the building is dark.

Even if you put them in a small pen, they will not take the eggs back (I have seen them do it VERY RARELY), but they will usually continue to take care of any youngsters that are a few weeks old if they are locked in a small space. Very young squabs, not so much. In otherwords, you will have to toss the eggs after you catch them.

8. vamiot

vamiot New Egg

Aug 11, 2014
    What if I just take the eggs ? Would they leave? I really hate having to do anything but I wouldn't want them shut in and no way out and then they all would die , what do you think

9. paramount

paramount Out Of The Brooder

Aug 4, 2014
    West Coast
    If you just throw the eggs out, they will just lay again in a few weeks.

Pigeons have a tremendous sense of home, regardless of where it is. Unlike other birds, while they may travel a few miles for food and water, they have no migratory instincts. Most pigeons die of old age/natural causes in very close vicinity to where they were originally hatched unless a predator kills them as they search for food/water or if a predator's constant harassment drives them out of the area. Even in the case of predatory harassment, pigeons will typically stay until the last of their numbers are gone. This is just their natural instinct.

In other words, the pair will return again and again unless you can catch them and can permanently lock them out of the building. They will continue to hang around outside the building until they finally find another place that they want to be and in fact, they might never leave the immediate area. Chances are, if you catch them and lock them out, you will still see them hanging around the building a year from now.

In other words, you will want to catch them, lock the building up and then let them loose somewhere or give them to someone to keep.

10. vamiot

vamiot New Egg

Aug 11, 2014
    Ok the building will be closed up in a couple weeks I can get them out when they shut it up, or I could take them to the wild life center near my house after they hatch the babies

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by