Pigeon laid the first eggs of the season

Discussion in 'Pigeons and Doves' started by dragonshiner, Mar 4, 2009.

1. dragonshiner

dragonshiner Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    Just when I thought winter would never end I found two eggs in the pigeon nesting boxes all warm and snuggly. My Archangel homers have apparently been busy and now Mom is the first of all my birds to lay eggs this year and the first to go broody and sit on them. Hope she's successful. It's still really cold out there.

2. 92caddy

92caddy Egg Lover

May 18, 2007
    Portland, IN
    We've had babies all year long here. Congrads and good luck with them...........

3. dragonshiner

Mar 20, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    Woo hoo! My Giant Runt pigeons have followed suit I guess. Bernice has laid an egg herself and is getting nesty with it. Only problem is Bernice has paired herself up with a smaller pigeon who has a bald eagle head and I'm not sure how cross breeding is going to work between them. But I guess we'll find out.

4. Blackbird

Blackbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2009
    MN
    We have them laying year long too, but unfortunatly the parents decide after a week or two they're no longer good enough to take care of, so they freeze, I think the frozen count is up to.. 12.

Good luck on your homers!

5. dragonshiner

Mar 20, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    And we officially have a hatch! Momma Homer is now sitting on one yellow tuft of fuzz! Yay! The other egg has mysteriously disappeared for whatever reason. But I'm still excited. I think I have to wait ten days before I can start handling it to get it used to me right? I'll have to back over all the notes I collected on training pigeons.

6. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    I handle mine from day one with no problems. But, I have experienced parents... don't know if younger birds would be freaked out or not.

7. dragonshiner

Mar 20, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    This is my first time raising pigeons. The parents are tolerant of my presence but are in no way hand friendly. So I have to take it easy with the newborn.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by