PIGEON LAYING EGG PROBLEMS HELP PLEASE

Discussion in 'Pigeons and Doves' started by aarontheman, Mar 23, 2013.

1. aarontheman

aarontheman Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2012
    Ireland dublin
    Hi i was after getting my first 2 eggs a couple of days ago and only the female is sitting on the eggs for about 5 days this morning i went into the loft to find that my other pair layed an egg then i was about to feed them then i found another egg on the floor not knowing whos it is i have 7 pigeons in total and there was a small nest made for it would it be okay to put a plastic nest bowl under the egg or will it be rejected thanks this is all of the pairs first eggs or can i put the one on the floor into another bowl with 2 eggs in it or to much work for the other pigeons thanks

2. Hokum Coco

Hokum Coco Overrun With Chickens

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada
    Pigeons can raise 3 squabs with no problems. That is if the additional egg was laid with in a day or so of the foster parents eggs.

I would mark the egg. Watch to see what pair of pigeons might be short one egg when they begin to nest.

Then maybe put back said egg with its rightful parents. Either way the additional egg should survive in a perfect world. .

Last edited: Mar 24, 2013
  3. aarontheman

Sep 18, 2012
    Ireland dublin
    Hi hokum i just went out there and the male is sitting on his nest but then the one on the ground seems to not have a mate so will i try it

4. aarontheman

Sep 18, 2012
    Ireland dublin
    whats the chances that all 6 eggs will survive in weather around 4 degrees celsuis when the pigeon is on the eggs

5. Hokum Coco

Hokum Coco Overrun With Chickens

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada
    You should have no problems unless you do something stupid like I did. I tossed my pair of white homers one day on a training flight not realizing she had laid and egg in her nest bowl. Pigeons are nesting now in the wild.

6. larrylofts

larrylofts Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2010
    LOTT TX
    think you should leave the egg on the floor let the first time pair try to get it right every one thinks they should do what we as keepers want or think should happen are you sure it is just the hen sitting on the eggs because cocks sit dureing the day hens at night

1 person likes this.
  7. aarontheman

Sep 18, 2012
    Ireland dublin
    No there are a pair sitting on the egg on the floor

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by