Pigeon newbie questions-pls help

chickensioux

Songster
10 Years
Feb 12, 2009
Western North Carolina
I was given 1 pigeon. I don't know the sex (neither did they). It is large, light gray body with dark gray head and neck (with some purple sheen). I don't even know the breed. I will be keeping it as a pet. My questions are:
Male or female (it makes a growling noise when I pick it up)
Breed?
Best feed?
What does the growling mean?
Should it have a mate or can it be kept alone?

The color is blue, but almost all breeds are found in that color since it is the 'wildtype'. Can you post some pictures?
smile.png
Many birds will make the grunting sounds when you get too close or pick them up. Just depends on the personality really. I have some really cocky hens and boys that grunt at me even if I look at them wrong, LOL.
For a pet, one bird will more easily bond to you. But a pair can be tame as well, and then you'd have some babies. If you keep it single, be prepared to be viewed as its mate in the future!
tongue.png
If it's a boy, it'll sing and dance for you, and if it's a hen, it may lay eggs and expect you to help share the sitting period, haha.

Also, food wise you can get chicken pellets or wild bird seed. Just about anything you could feed a chicken would work, but the scratch grains usually don't have much of a variety to eat. If you can, get some chicken grit for it as well to help in digestion. And if you're wondering what would be good for treats, pigeons love raw peanuts and safflower seed!

Thanks Mary, it is or was a racing pigeon that was found and the owner did not want it back since he was from another state (I guess). So I have it now and it will be a pet.

Back
Top Bottom