pigeon question

As long as young people, like you, are entering the hobby, it will never die. Whether you raise fancy breeds, performing breeds or just some captured ferals... be sure to tell your friends about the hobby and how much you like it. It's a fantastic hobby for young people. It gives a sense of pride and teaches a lot of important lessons. Have fun!

That's a great way to get others into the hobby. And it's always nice to have friends to talk about pigeons with.

I agree with Albert W, it is a dying sport and community. i am trying to inspire the younger generation to raise pigeons as well. For the moment I only keep more of the fancy breeds like Russian tumblers and Pure white homers and Satinettes

I think most young people are attracted to performance-based birds, like tumblers, rollers and homers. Something they can see fly. The main problem with that is, it's nearly impossible to learn training methods on your own. Hopefully the Internet can make training and feeding methods more available and attract new hobbyists. It can be discouraging to raise birds, only to turn them out the first time and watch them fly away or not perform.

Pigeonguy, I fly doneks now (a diving breed). They're flown in small kits of 3-5 normally and they're only in the air for a few minutes. Not as attractive to a falcon as a kit of thirty rollers or a flock of young homers on a training toss. Check out the diving breeds if you ever want back into pigeons.

Back
Top Bottom