1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pigeon setting on a call duck egg. Thoughts? **PIC**

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Rainstorm, Jan 19, 2011.

1. Rainstorm

Rainstorm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Lake Placid FLorida
    Pigeon laid 2 eggs under nestbox on the ground in a flight.. shes been setting on em a few days, dumb call duck keeps laying beside her and now she has stolen a egg from the duck! I tried scooting her over to get it but she nearly took my hand off LOL its definetly a call egg but fairly smaller then normal (one has been laying small eggs) I was wondering if I could just let her try to hatch it? I know of course that the pigeons will hatch quicker then it but I am going to keep track of the date and take the duck egg away and put it in the incubator right before the pigeons hatch

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 19, 2011
  2. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    You have nothing to worry about! My pigeon Homer raised 2 silkie eggs with the help of a white fantail and they are absolutely fine [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Be sure and get a video of the mama pigeons reaction when her baby hatches and heads for the nearest pond. [​IMG]

4. Rainstorm

Rainstorm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Lake Placid FLorida
    Quote:LOL! Most definetly gonna have plenty of pics, I gave her the egg back, ill wait a few days and if she doesnt lay another one herself i might let her keep 2 call eggs, she definetly cant fit more then that under her

5. jettgirl24

jettgirl24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Duvall, WA
    The pidgeon with the two chicks is just the cutest thing ever. You really have to give birds of all kinds credit for being great mothers... They don't care what hatches, they love it for who it is... We should all be so lucky to have families like that [​IMG]

6. dmiravalle

dmiravalle Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2010
    Foresthill, CA
    OK, I know nothing about pigeons, but don't they "milk" like a dove???? How does that work?

7. magicpigeon

Oct 9, 2010
    Quote:They regurgitate food from the crop, so it's not really "milk" in that sense [​IMG] And doves do the same thing fyi, I own both [​IMG]

8. dmiravalle

Dec 23, 2010
    Foresthill, CA
    I understand that they regurgitate like a parrot, but I thought there was something in the lining of the stomach or something like that that the doves utilize to produce more protein??????????????

9. magicpigeon

Oct 9, 2010
    Don't think so. [​IMG] I've seen my pigeon throw up on her favourite chick once though. [​IMG] They had a bad habit of pecking their mother's eyes. One time they got her on the beak and --- BBLLEEEEERRRGHH.....a torrent of pigeon vomit exploded on them. They never tried that again [​IMG]

10. dmiravalle

Dec 23, 2010
    Foresthill, CA
    That is tooo funny. Don't know, but not into pigeons here, just the other stuff. Although I raised parrots for about 15 years. That is A LOT OF WORK! Gotta tired of the babies always trying to get me to throw up! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by