1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

pigeon sitting on bantam eggs...when they hatch?

Discussion in 'Pigeons and Doves' started by cochinGurl, Jun 15, 2011.

1. cochinGurl

cochinGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2010
    bellingham
    Hi, i have a pair of pigeons sitting on one fake pigeon egg, and one bantam egg. the bantam egg was already incubated for a week before the pigeons took over. what should i do when it hatches? can i leave it with the pigeons or will the axidently kill it by trying to force feed it? any advise would be great! [​IMG]
    thanks -cochingurl

2. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    A baby chick would die being raised by a pigeon. You need to remove it when it hatches, which should be in about 14 days. A pigeon egg also takes about that time to hatch, so they should be hatching around the same time. A pigeon feeds their young like other birds, but as you know, chicks are not feed directly by the hen. The chick would starve if it was left to depend on the pigeon to feed it since the chick is not "programmed" to be fed the way the pigeons are.

3. laseterlass

laseterlass Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Anchorage Alaska
    You will hear the chick screaming as the pidges try to feed it. Just take it away. We had a darn crazy ass polish hen that could get into the pidges nest boxes. She would destroy their eggs and leave her own. She never ever brooded but we had more then a few off her get running around the farm. I HATED her for it.[​IMG]

4. cochinGurl

May 11, 2010
    bellingham
    ok, thanks everyone. i'll take it away when it hatches. (but not before i get a quick pic of them of corse lol ) but they should be able to keep the eggs warm enough? the bantam egg is slightly larger then the other one.

5. Mary Of Exeter

Mary Of Exeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Rowan County, NC
    Yes, they can hatch them out just fine. You can leave it in there until it dries out, but you'll want to get it into a brooder or under a broody hen ASAP. You don't want it running out of the nest and falling (if nest is elevated) or getting pecked by the other pigeons in the loft once it's on the floor. The parents won't kill it though. Obviously the chick will not stick its head up for food like a squab would, so the pigeons will be a little confused as to why their kid isn't hungry [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. cochinGurl

May 11, 2010
    bellingham
    that is probly the cutest pic in the world!!! thanks for your reply, im egerly awaiting the hatch day. [​IMG]

7. lightchick

lightchick Overrun With Chickens

Apr 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    Will it be OK to keep a chick with the pigeon foster parents and just leave chick starter out with water?

8. loftkeeper

loftkeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2013
    no to different parent birds

9. lightchick

lightchick Overrun With Chickens

Apr 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    Is there a way to make the pigeons sit on the egg without them laying their own?

10. loftkeeper

loftkeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2013
    why only way have two males paired. pigeons dont go broody without laying eggs

Last edited: Sep 7, 2014
    1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by