Pigeons egg

shellikirbey

Songster
Feb 17, 2016
Eldorado Springs, Mo
I bought 4 pigeons 2 weeks ago at a livestock auction here where I live and it's my first time raiseing them.i have been seeing the one that is a male I'm pretty sure chaseing after a couple of them and one he ltterly was dragging by the head a couple times.I went out yesterday evening to cover them up and there was a egg on the bottom of hutch so I put it in the nest bowl I had with sand and I've seen one of them sitting in the nest bowl but not on the egg.is she maybe wait to lay more before she sits on it.i put some hay in the cage and it looked like she may have put some in the nest bowl.i just worried she wasn't in it.does anyone know if this is normal? I wasn't expecting them to lay beings I got them so late in the year..because if she isn't gonna hatch it I want to incubate it but I would rather then to raise it tho

Last edited:
Well there has been no more eggs yet but I think she is now sitting on the egg.i just put my finger on it and it was slightly warm.should I remove the other two pigeons cause the male is doing something with another one that left a wound on its head.i don't know f the other two is male or female and they stay as high as they can all the time so I'm thinking male is after them..I'm thinking male.ive only seen the female on the egg

Last edited:
I did see male on egg today..I did remove the other two pigeons to a separate hutch and I do think that was best for both sides..it's so funny how if anything gets close to the nest she goes to peek in to see it...lol. I'm trying to just stay away most of the time so they don't get off the egg much.s should I feed anything extra right now so they are good for feeding baby and should I candle it any or just let it be..I don't want to touch it really..

Last edited:
I feed anything extra right now so they are good for feeding baby and should I candle it any or just let it be.. That is entirely up to you there is no risk of abandonment by handling eggs or newly hatched squabs. I don't want to touch it really.. One word of caution it is not a good idea to alter of move the nest until the squabs are nearly fledged.
I feed my pigeons chicken layer pellets as their staple food (I am unable to purchase pigeon feed in my area). I also hand feed shelled unsalted peanuts as a treat only. I find it causes my homing pigeons (who are know to be aloof) to come to me on command in the loft and outside when they free fly.

This is what is considered a excellent pigeon feed for racing pigeons (keeping in mind there is almost as many varied diets as there are pigeon fanciers.)

Last edited:
Ok sounds good..I already have layer food for my chickens..I just wasn't sure if they're eat it..I've been giving them wild bird seed with sunflower seeds,sm seeds,corn pieces and several other wheat type seeds..there is two eggs now and she layed it with the other one in the nest this time..there on it quite a bit now except when I get in to feed them..have my fingers crossed..I'm concerned it's getting chilly at night now but it is supposed to warm up again for a few days..Thanks

Last edited:
.I've been giving them wild bird seed with sunflower seeds,sm seeds,corn pieces and several other wheat type seeds.That sounds excellent as well. I'm concerned it's getting chilly at night now but it is supposed to warm up again for a few days. In 19-23 days your eggs will hatch and your squabs will be testing their wings in 4 weeks, Your pigeons in a perfect world are at the end of the breeding season. That being said I think your clutch should do just fine with no extra precautions on your part.
This is what I housed a pair of squabs in (nest bowl and all) after the squabs became too large for the parents to protect from the cold (eggs in this case hatched on Christmas Eve I live in Canada.)

This video will give you some idea how fast a squab develops

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom