pigeons?? got newbie questions(BABY PIC!! pg 15)

Discussion in 'Pigeons and Doves' started by therealsilkiechick, Nov 5, 2008.

1. therealsilkiechick

therealsilkiechick ShowGirl Queen

Jul 18, 2007
    Northwestern, pa
    i'd like to know who raises pigeons, what breed/s and what do u feed them?? i won 2 auctions for frillbacks on eggbid and hopeing my babies will be in today here shortly. i got 2 pairs comeing!! [​IMG]

i have heard mixed info so i'd like all ur thoughts. any other advice for a newbie to pigeons is welcomed. will add pics as soon as i can. oh and what books do u reccomend for info on them? and they do not sell pigeon stuff here in my area i've already been that road and it's been a dead end. so far the net and research has been my best help.
    thanks,
    silkie

Last edited: Dec 30, 2008
  2. ButtonQuailBoy

ButtonQuailBoy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2008
    Throop PA 18512
    I don't know much but if you get fertile eggs...tell me...I love hand raising birds! It makes them 10x sweeter!

3. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    I just had pet pigeons, 2 parlor rollers, a homer, and two wilds (well wild as in they were born in the wild). I fed them a seed mixture as well as boiled eggs and pretty much anything i feed my quails and chickens now. They did great and even started laying. I had them in a pretty cool double compartment rabbit hutch, with perches on the "outdoor" part, and in the inner part just a wooden sheltered area where they layed their eggs. THey never hatched any, but I think its because they were older but im unsure. They mostly just liked to walk around their hutch instead of perch I noticed.

4. Tripp

Tripp Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2008
    Munford, TN
    Currently I raise homers and they eat scratch grains, but you can feed them any type of grain and since they only have 34 taste buds they can't taste very much anyways. I have raised pigeons for 4 years now and they can eat as expensive or as cheap as you want.. You can also house them with your chickens if you want there is no animosity between the different animals they all seem to get along great...

Tripp

5. poultrykeeper08

poultrykeeper08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2008
    Agawam , Ma
    I have fantail pigeons and modena pigeons and 1 wild pigeon baby
    mine eat bird seed ,game bird crumbles and layer pellets . They also eat lettuce (wich i cant believe )and bread

I dont show mine , they are just pets

The frill backs are awsone i want to get a few pairs my self

6. therealsilkiechick

Jul 18, 2007
    Northwestern, pa
    they were not here today but the post master said they should be in the morning and she will call first thing. i'm praying they make the trip here safely.

button,
    lol, i'd asume i will have fertile eggs eventually, they r an 07 pair and the other pair is 08 hatched. both sets maybe old enough to breed and lay but i know the oldest one for sure is. i will not be selling eggs for them only hatchlings when big enough cause pigeons got to ralf the babies the food. yes i agree they r better hand reared i do that with my cockatiels but a pigeon is different.

monarc and tripp, that was great help!! so far i have heard layer pellets, layer crumbles, watermelon, cantalope, and cooked rice. ur reply helps me more!

keep the ideas comeing and thanks for the replies!!

7. mahsmaj

mahsmaj Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2008
    Hannibal, Missouri
    Where do you all find your wilds???

8. theOEGBman

theOEGBman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    Central California
    Hey Mary,

Glad to see another person is getting into pigeons! I have nine Komorner Tumblers at the moment, but Im hoping to sell all but my original pair. I would love to get a few different breeds, and Frillbacks are definitely one of them! They are gorgeous birds. My buddy told her her FIL raises Runts, so I might wind up getting some of those. Honestly, I feed mine the same crumble/scratch mixture my chickens get. It may not be best for them, but they've raised many healthy babies with it. They raised 7 this year alone! Make sure you post pics of the Frillies when you get them. As for books, I dont know. I just got mine for fun and that's what they are!

9. therealsilkiechick

Jul 18, 2007
    Northwestern, pa
    hey j!!
    well i have a few favs i have been wanting to get some for years now,lol. i like jacobins, frillbacks, fantails and a few of the swallow breeds. these r pics the breeder took of my babies my comp ports r not working but i will take lots of pics and get a bunch burned on cd at walmart of them soon. after that i can upload from cd.

least this way u all get to see my new cuties comeing, i'm so excited!! let me know what ya think of them! [​IMG]
    silkie

this is the 08 pair the almond is the boy and black is the girl.

[​IMG]

this is the 07 pair the girl is the dun bar and the boy is the blue one.

[​IMG]

10. therealsilkiechick

Jul 18, 2007
    Northwestern, pa
    hey keeper i wanna see pics of ur fantails!! mabe next year when i got extra babies we can swap some hatchlings with ea other?

if anyone else has pics of ur pigeons please feel free to post. some of those breeds i don't know of. would love to learn about the breeds u all raise to and see what they r.

oh i had 2 other questions too. how do u tell sexes on pigeons,lol and do any of u vaccinate and if so for what and where do u buy ur vaccines? i vaccinate my flock so i thought it was something important to ask about since i show poultry. i don't want to risk bringing anything back to these guys.
    silkie

Last edited: Nov 5, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by