Pigeons ha e gone out please help

Jo4dunx

Chirping
Aug 22, 2020
I’ve had my pigeons in there coop for about three weeks now they have never been outside . They can see outside so they can see their surroundings . Tovah I was cleaning out their shed I left the door open and they didn’t bother to fly out . I came inside the house to fill up there water on my return they had gone , I have just two pigeons both are ringed for identity . How can I encourage them to return ? Thanks

I can’t see them at all . Went in the house to get their water and food filled up returned to find they had gone from the shed and they are no where to be seen . I do have a lot of high trees and things though ?

OK, assuming they are homing pigeons, it makes a difference if they are young birds that did not fly outside the loft they hatched in. If so, there is a good chance they will be back on their own. If they are older birds that had been flown in their previous home then there is a good chance they would try to return there.
Every time you feed them you should make a whistle or specific call and then you can use that to call them in.
One of my birds got accidentally trapped in a live trap that I put out to catch a predator. There wasn't even any food in it- he was just curious! Lol So you can put out a trap or even a cage with seeds to bait it.

OK, assuming they are homing pigeons, it makes a difference if they are young birds that did not fly outside the loft they hatched in. If so, there is a good chance they will be back on their own. If they are older birds that had been flown in their previous home then there is a good chance they would try to return there.
Every time you feed them you should make a whistle or specific call and then you can use that to call them in.
One of my birds got accidentally trapped in a live trap that I put out to catch a predator. There wasn't even any food in it- he was just curious! Lol So you can put out a trap or even a cage with seeds to bait it.
They are young birds and we never flown outside the loft they were hatched in . I did plan to let them out at some point but I was wanting to get a trap set up first ideally . I will in future use a whistle when I am putting their food out . I really hope they return I havnt seen them since they went out . Do they tend to come home before dark ?
thanks for your help x

In a perfect world they will return to their perches before dark. But young birds are unpredictable. Since you don't have a trap set up, you are just leaving the door open for them?

Look around for them up under the eaves of any nearby buildings, they may be perching inconspicuously close by.

Yes leaving the door open I’ve just been out to buy bob wires so hoping my husband can make a bob wire trap when he gets home . I have walked around and looked and can’t see them anywhere . We do get a lot of pigeons around here but all I can see is single ones with no rings so they arnt mine . Would they more than likely be together ?

I left the door open
uh oh, pigeons are curious, so mistake learned.
How can I encourage them to return
Place food in the loft, and wait for dusk. do you have nay trained pigoens to fly? if so, fly them and they will join up with them if near by. are they hungry?
Do they tend to come home before dark ?
Yes, they will try.
But young birds are unpredictable.
YES! i had one YB simply refuse to come back after a loft fly. hasn't come back since. :confused:
Don't lose heart. Sometimes birds return even after a few days.
Hope you are able to report back with good news! :fl
Yep. i had one come back after day 8, so be patient @Jo4dunx
Would they more than likely be together ?
yes, they like to flock in the air, so likely together.

i dont recommend throwing a towel... they will outfly it. but, a net might work. but if they are near the coop pacing trying to find a way in, just wait, and they will go in by themselves. if you catch one, the other will grow wise to the trick, and you will likely lose it.

Back
Top Bottom