Pigeons need help please

Discussion in 'Pigeons and Doves' started by husso, Feb 14, 2016.

1. husso

husso Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2016
    United Kingdom
    [​IMG]. Hi i have 3 female and 1 male pigeon they dont want to mate im new to pigeons anyone have some advice on how i can get them to breed

2. husso

Feb 14, 2016
    United Kingdom
    [​IMG] i keep all 4 in this cage i built thanks

3. jak2002003

jak2002003 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 24, 2009
    Thailand
    How long have you had them?

How old are they?

It will take them time to settle into a new home.. and they need to be at least 6 months old before they breed.

Have you got nest boxes in there and nesting material.

Just wait.. they will breed in the end if they have everything they need. The one male will probably select him mate.. but still mate with the other 2 females.. which will pair up as an all female pair.

If that happens they female pair will have 4 eggs... so you need to throw away 2 of them so they only hatch out 2 chicks as normal.. otherwise the squabs may not get enough food and die.

Good luck.

1 person likes this.
  4. Hokum Coco

Hokum Coco Overrun With Chickens

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada
    In a perfect world given time things should work out well for you. They maybe just young. I personally would isolate the paring I would prefer. It could save you a lot of heartache

Last edited: Feb 19, 2016
  5. husso

Feb 14, 2016
    United Kingdom
    Bad news very bad news guys there all dead now !!!!!!

6. laughingdog

laughingdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2011
    Newport Tennessee
    I'm sorry for your loss.. What happened?

7. husso

Feb 14, 2016
    United Kingdom
    Dam fox went in and killed all 4 had to buy new ones

8. Hokum Coco

Hokum Coco Overrun With Chickens

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada
    My that is devastating news. Did the fox gain entry though the door? Did he break in through the night? I suffered losses from raccoons that brought me from over 40 birds down to 4 one year. I manged to rebound the following spring and bring my flock up to around 13. Just when I thought I was on the come back trail a weasel got in the following winter and in one night wiped me completely out. I have since restocked my loft again and currently have 13 birds and eggs are starting to arrive. I since revamped my loft and made it bottle tight (As long as I remember to shut the door at night.) I am sad for your loss backyard buddy I hope you can find the courage to rebuild. Loss is always a part of having pets unfortunately.

Even more so if you have homing pigeons

Oh, I see where you have bought 4 new birds hope you have better luck with these ones.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2016
  9. husso

Feb 14, 2016
    United Kingdom
    I couldnt belive it i was devistated the fox actualy managed to rip a whole into the chicken wire i didnt belive that they could be so strong and smart i changed the whole layout of the cage now and it seems ok

10. husso

Feb 14, 2016
    United Kingdom
    With my new doves im having a problem witch has confused me they dont want to leave there cage they just wont get out any ideas thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by