pigeons pigeons! tell me about em! i love them!!!

Discussion in 'Pigeons and Doves' started by augiedranch, Aug 10, 2008.

1. augiedranch

augiedranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2008
    Texas
    i rescue pigeons,, anywase, i LOVE THEM they are marvelous creatures.. i am just wanting to learn more about them. i let mine "free" . they can fly wherever they want, and have full acess of food and water on top of the barn.... they are starting to um... multiply, but alot!! do they mate for life? how long until they fly etc... whats just some more info on them so i can take care of them properly.. i also have one that is all white and smaller than the rest.. a dove? i am feeding chicken scratch and sunflower seeds... anything eles that they like/

[​IMG]

2. NoelTate

NoelTate Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2008
    Mobile, AL
    What fun! I'm jealous! I wanted to get pigeons, pen them for a while, then turn them loose. Unfortuantely, two things came up-a pair of hawks started nesting in the woods behind my house every year about three years ago, and my dad developed some pretty severe lung problems. Apparently, people with lung disease should not be around pigeons due to the effects the birds have on their health. Guess I will have to be satisfied with seeing the wild ones in other places for a while. We have them at the school where I work, and I love to throw out food for those. Unfortunately, we have a large hawk there too now, so i guess we won't have the pigeons for long [​IMG]

3. seedcorn

seedcorn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2007
    NE. IN
    You can buy grains especially for pigeons. You can give them scratch grains and supplement their diet w/layer crumbles. Pigeons are tough and flying loose like you have them, they will survive very well.

Now hawks, they will get quite a few but they will probably learn to adapt.......If you hand feed them, they will become very tame and will look for you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by