Pigeons stopped laying

Coastalpigeon

Hatching
Apr 4, 2022
I’ve got a 20x10x8 coop with about 20 birds in it. I’ve had them about a year and they’ve been laying since a couple months after I got them. They laid all through winter and have completely stopped laying now that it is spring.
At least 4 separate pairs have successfully raised chicks, and now none are laying at all.
They’ve got access to sand and oyster shell so I don’t think it is a calcium issue, but I am stumped as to what’s going on with them.
I could understand if one pair decided to stop laying, but all of them at the same time has me stumped.
Any ideas or suggestions? I recently replaced all sand and oyster shell to ensure they don’t need some more calcium.

With the limited info on your situation,, let me ask some questions.
When your pigeons were laying those eggs,, what did you do with eggs???
Here is reason I am asking.. Pigeons, are not equal to chickens. If it is winter time,, and you did not want squabs to hatch,, you remove eggs, and replace with dummy eggs. (plastic, or wood).. This way the pigeon sits thru the duration, of hatch time, and eventually gives up. Then after a stretch of time,, tries again.
Second scenario; you remove eggs, and do not replace with blanks,, pigeon does her best to produce another egg asap. It takes a lot out of a pigeon to produce an egg. That may be a possibility,, your pigeons are on a low point cycle of producing eggs. Again,, I am just speculating, and trying to come up with a logical reason.
What are you feeding your pigeons?? Remember that egg production needs protein in diet to be sufficient. A good pigeon seed mix should provide that,,, but there are many mixtures that are less than ideal.
Calcium will just make good healthy egg shells. It will not encourage egg laying. If insufficient,, then egg shells will be weak and break easily.

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and :welcome

Back
Top Bottom