Pigeons: Who incubates the cocks or the hens?

Ok, so I don't get why people separate the cocks from the hens. I read read in loft sites* "hens side" (there are square boxes) versus "cocks side" (with cages like structures)?
Also, other thing that I don't get, is how do the birds only go for the "sides", if I were a cock I would definitely enter to the hens side passing by their traps?

*just like in here per example http://www.redroselofts.com/kennedys_loft.htm

I've never had Homers, but I think they separate them when they race leaving the cocks with the nest at home and flying the hens.

Many breeders separate in the winter to keep them from breeding, other than that I don't know. The males set the eggs during the day and the females at night.

many pigeon breeders seperate the sexs .reasons are to hot or cold to be sucessfull raiseing. birds need to rest for molting . if showing or raceing birds need to be condictioned .and the birds just need a rest. also many lofts have young bird sections

Last edited:
Quote:
Is this a fact ? if so that is very interesting as well as good to know . Now I can band them for positive sexing I.D.

Daren

Yes it is a fact, though I've noticed with my doves that mom will be on the nest off-and-on during the day but on the nest all night.

Sitting times are not always the same. Especially if you have them on lights to incourage breeding.

The box-like things in the hens side are box perches. They are only a few inches wide, so they can only perch on them. The cage-like boxes are nest boxes. Half is usually covered in wire to close it in and give them some privacy. Also so you can lock a hen in the box while the male courts her through the open part, without being able to hurt her.
There are two reasons for separating the sexes:
1. To keep them from breeding. Keeping them separated when breeding season is over, can give them all a break, especially the hens. The cockbirds can still have nest boxes to claim as their territory, and the hens aren't allowed nest areas because they often pair up together and lay 4 infertile eggs, which defeats the purpose of separating them because they aren't getting rest from laying.
2. To fly the Widowhood system. It's one of the methods of flying when you race. You only allow the cockbirds to see the hens right before the race, so they are super motivated to come home to their new girlfriends and finish the courtship/mating. The more motivated they are to come home, the quicker they will get there.

Quote:
Thank you very much!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom