PIGEONS!!!!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by AZchickenchick, Dec 1, 2008.

1. AZchickenchick

AZchickenchick Out Of The Brooder

Nov 6, 2008
    Do I need to worry about disease from pigeon poop infecting my girls? They roost on my roof and poop all over, the side yard is disgusting. I HATE them but they are impossible to get rid of - my stupid neighbor feeds them. Avian flu?

2. OHChick

OHChick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2007
    dunno about disease, but they are disgusting. we had a bunch roost in our silo building, they have poo'd on everything in there. a few shots from the pellet gun seems to take care of them. [​IMG] can you try that?

3. 1acrefarm

1acrefarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2007
    Georgia
  4. AZchickenchick

Nov 6, 2008
    I wish!!!! We are in major suburbia so we have to be muy careful about shooting them, although we do it every chance we get. I won't poison them because someones dog will end up eating a poisoned corpse. Other ideas?

5. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Quote:Good idea not to, as doves and other birds would eat it also. People hunt and eat doves.

You can get a pigeon trap, that will hold a large # of them.
    Or easy to make ,just add a trap door on a large cage.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2008
  6. AZchickenchick

Nov 6, 2008
    That's a good idea, but then what do I do with them? I'm not sure I could handle killing them with my bare hands....I'm not sure I would even know how. Chop their little heads off? Eeewww!

7. Ugly Cowboy

Ugly Cowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2008
    Corn, OK
    Quote:Pop there heads off, like a dove. OR, you could trap 'em and send a few pairs to me LOL!

8. AZchickenchick

Nov 6, 2008
    How do you "pop their heads off"? That sounds like something my cats would love! And as for eating city pigeons, they are probably full of worms and lice, otherwise I would. Dove is DELICIOUS, and aren't they pretty much the same thing?

9. Ugly Cowboy

Ugly Cowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2008
    Corn, OK
    Quote:Grab its head between your index and middle fingers on one hand, hold its body with the other and pull hard, its head'll pop right off.

Oh, your in town? I'm sorry... [​IMG]

Pigeons is a little differant than dove... hard to describe to folks; squab is excellent if done right! [​IMG]

10. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Quote:Sell them for a dollar or two. Dog trainer use them to train bird dogs. They shoot them over their dogs etc. Legal to sell without premits.

IF ANY HAVE RACING BANDS you can not kill them. Must try to find owner. Same racer pigeons are protect by Federal Law.

Yes same as dove taste the same.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by