pigeons?

Discussion in 'Pigeons and Doves' started by first time farmer, Mar 28, 2009.

1. first time farmer

first time farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2008
    New Hampshire
    I am thinking about getting some pigeons an i was just wondering what kind of coop you would use. Pictures would be grate. Thanks

2. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    These are homemade from electric company wire spools (free if you pick them up).

[​IMG]

3. first time farmer

Dec 31, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Great idea! I think i will pick some after school this week some time. My dads friend said he would pay me to raise some white pigeons and let the go at his wedding. Since they have a homing instinct they would return home right?

4. morelcabin

morelcabin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2007
    Ontario Canada
    You don't let your first flock go if they belonged to someone else, because they will fly back home. Once they have babies in a nest though they will return to you, so make sure they have babies first. The babies, on the other hand will always return to you.

Love that coop idea! that is attractive as well as functional!

Last edited: Mar 28, 2009
  5. first time farmer

Dec 31, 2008
    New Hampshire
    I was thinking of getting some babies from my 4-H leaders friend. So i wouldnt have to worry about that right?

6. greenfamilyfarms

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Quote:What kind?

7. first time farmer

Dec 31, 2008
    New Hampshire
    White racing homing pigeons. I am not sure if that is a breed but that us what he called them.

8. yardbird tx

yardbird tx Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    Quote:Where are your feeders keep in those pins? I dont see them. I love the idea with the spools.

9. greenfamilyfarms

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Quote:Where are your feeders keep in those pins? I dont see them. I love the idea with the spools.

I don't keep feeders in there 24/7. After they finished eating all that they can, I'll remove it. It keeps them from making a mess of the feed and wasting it. As for water, they are kept around the other side of the spool. I use square plastic containers that are big enough to for to dip their beaks into. The water is kept in there 24/7, though.

10. cajunlizz

cajunlizz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    any idea how long it takes for the pigeon eggs to hatch . I have 6 pigeons and noticed 1 is setting on 5 eggs

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by