Pigeons....

Yep, I keep pigeons. I really reduced the number though. I used to have lots, but now I only have six. I like keeping pigeons, but they aren't as friendly as the chickens, and they are hard to sell around here. I always buy a few here and there at auction though. Currently I have three budapest, a silesian swallow, and a pair of chinese owls.

I have three Komorner Tumblers. They are just pets. I saw a pair at the petstore and thought they were beautiful, so I brought them home! They were horrible parents at first, and let their first couple clutches die, but they did have one survive, and I have her as well.

Yep, I will post a picture! Let me see if I can find one...

This is a blurry pic. I will try to get more recent ones when I go home. This was when I first got them!

n713083084_235048_2903.jpg

n713083084_235049_3177.jpg

Here is a picture of my budapest cock
n713083084_153576_4201.jpg

Those are beautiful pigeons, Chickerdoodle. The Chinese Owls are exceptionally beautiful. OEGBman, if you have some pics that you would like to share, I would love to see yours too.

What do you all feed your pigeons? I bought 20 pigeons at a livestock auction this past Saturday and am having to learn about them "on the fly!!" One of the first things I learned about pigeons is that there is not near as much information on the internet about them as there is about chickens!!

I had always just thought of pigeons as filthy, disease carrying birds that really should be irradicated. But after getting these guys, I've learned different. Mine are the Blue Barred, aka common pigeon. Though there is nothing "fancy" about them, they are beautiful birds!

Thanks for the replies,
Robert

I feed all mine layer pellets! My owls are fat and healthy and going on close to five years of age! I actually talked to a big breeder/judge once and he asked me what in the world I fed my birds because they were so healthy! When I said chicken feed, he wasn't surprised because that is what he feeds his.

If you feed seed, you will need to provide grit for them. With layer pellets, you don't need the grit, but can still provide it.

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask!

It's funny, I live in pigeon paradise in Spring Hill Florida. 40% of the homes here are nice homes with pigeon coops sometimes better looking than the homes!

Chickerdoodle, I had wondered about feeding layer feed. I had searched the internet for a "pigeon forum" and found only one very active one. It is called "Pigeon-Talk." The folks on there seem to think that chicken layer feed has too high of a protein and too much dust in it to be healthy for the pigeons. I was told that I needed to feed them a pigeon grain mix or pigeon pelleted feed; and was assured that one or the other would be available to me through local suppliers. The only place that I could find either was TSC (Tractor Supply Company). The pellets are a whopping $10.25 (plus tax) for a 25 lb. bag! And, the grain mix is a wallet busting $23.98 for a 50 lb. bag! That's almost three times what I pay for quality layer feed!! There's no way in the world that I can afford to feed them that kind of feed!!

After reading what you have said here I can't believe that the layer feed is bad for them.... despite what the "Pigeon Fanciers" say!! I know you said that you feed yours layer pellets. But, do you think it would be alright to feed them layer crumbles. I feed pellets to my chickens, but was afraid that these pellets might be too big for the pigeons to swallow.... that's why I asked.

Thanks for your willingness to help out!!

Robert

Last edited:
I am usually told that layer feed is bad for them. IDK why, because some of my birds are healthier than the ones from the owners who sell at auctions and feed only seed!

Crumbles or pellets are fine for them. I even feed my doves pellets and they just pick out the smaller pieces. Any left overs go to the chickens! Just make sure they are eating when you make the switch. You might have to do it gradually, and mix seeds with layer feed.

Back
Top Bottom