piggy momma rejected one baby after a week?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by spish, Sep 14, 2011.

1. spish

spish De Regenboog Kippetjes

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    8 days ago my minipig sow gave birth to 8 piglets..all has been fab until i noticed this morning one piglet shivering in the corner...i shoo'ed her back to the nest sight but momma pig immediatly grunted and chased the little one away.....

why would she do this after a week? what can i do for the little one? will it eat mashed foods yet or do i have to bottle feed? what do i give?

2. arabianequine

arabianequine Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    Quote:This is not an answer to any of the op's questions.

3. BorderKelpie

BorderKelpie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2009
    outside Dallas
    I have never raised piglets before, but with other animals, I have noticed that if Mama feels something isn't right, she will reject the unhealthy baby. Far better for her to put her resources into offspring that have a better chance at survival.

OTOH, I wouldn't be able to sit aside and watch the little one die. I would try to bottle raise it, just if you sell or keep it, do not use it for breeding purposes. If it wasn't healthy enough to survive naturally without help from you, I would worry that its offspring could potentially be even weaker.

Best wishes! I've always wanted a house pig.

(and just WHERE are the pictures?)

Last edited: Sep 14, 2011
  4. spish

spish De Regenboog Kippetjes

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
  5. BorderKelpie

BorderKelpie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2009
    outside Dallas
    Thanks for the link. I want a dalmation piggie!!!!!

Aww, so cute.

eta: Oh cool! There's a stripe-y one, too! I'll take that one, also. So Dally piggie can have a friend. [​IMG]

6. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    you can bottle feed it... after 4 weeks you can start weaning it to mash...

7. EmAbTo48

EmAbTo48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    Northern Wisconsin
    We have had this happen one time we have been breeding now for 6 years. We stopped using that sow after that since we have had experience with sows then rejecting whole litters!

Anyways, we ended up bottle feeding she was a week and half old. Its very time consuming but she lived. You have to stay on a strict feeding schedule. By a week you shouldn't have to feed through the night BUT if the piglets losing weight you HAVE too! We kept her in a small tubaware box and we kept the heat lamp on till 2.5 weeks. We gave her stuffed animals too lay next too she still loves stuffed animals HA! Keep her area always dry! Chill can kill a piglet. We used goats milk but that's only cause we couldn't find milk replacer around us! You should try to find replacer.

After 2 weeks we introduced a small flat dish with milk in it for her to get her use to that and off the bottle it took her about a week but then she did great!
    We didn't give her mash till 4-5 weeks of age and she was always so much smaller then her siblings, I am kinda of thinking this is why the mother rejected her since she felt the piglet was to tiny/sick to make it or whatever!

Good luck you have a much better chance since the piglet was able to eat with mom the first week. [​IMG]

We kept our piglet AKA Rosie [​IMG] she's now 2 years old and the sweetist thing ever!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by