Piggyback post - 6 RIR chicks hatched from incubator today. Northeast. Advice for the next few mon

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ChickenHawk12, Nov 4, 2016.

1. ChickenHawk12

ChickenHawk12 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2015
    Our 5 BO chicks last year grew out of the brooder at around 6 weeks old, but it was June and warm enough for them to sleep outside in the coop. This time there is one more (they are all RIR), and in 6 weeks it will be mid-December and probably in the 20's-30's at night and 30's-40's during the day.

I have 3 BO's left, 1.5 years old, and a 4X8 foot coop that is up 3 feet off the ground and a spacious, fenced-in run. I have a diy "broody-buster" that I had made over the summer that is about the same size as our brooder (maybe 3 feet by 2 feet by 2 feet?). My only idea was to put that INSIDE the coop to protect them from the big hens until they get used to eat other, but I don't think that's roomy enough.

I have a garage, but I really don't want to spend the rest of my lifetime cleaning chicken poop off of every blasted surface in there, plus I don't know if I can possibly chicken-proof it for their safety.

This all started when I bought eggs for a persistently broody hen that I got tired of dealing with, but her broodiness broke as soon as the eggs arrived. The first batch were all duds (bad shipping, I think), but by then my kids had their hearts set on chicks so I got another 6, hoping for at least 2. I had 100% hatch, and so far they all look healthy.

Does anyone have advice on about what age they can be living outside in the coop/run in December, how to best acclimate them to the other hens with the least amount of fighting possible, and any other suggestions for this dumby with poor planning but 6 adorable fluffernutters?

I should add to clarify, I do NOT have a broody hen, so they are on their own in there :-(

2. Mak24456

Mak24456 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 24, 2016
    NC
    I'm in the exact same situation, I've been wondering about it too.

3. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by