Piglets help!

Macbain

In the Brooder
Aug 21, 2021
E909C5FB-BCB1-4EF5-B402-59D2CCAC6E3E.jpeg

A wild hog we caught in a cage gave birth 5 days ago and these are her piglets. The mother hasn’t move since giving birth. She originally had 5 but the other 3 died. We fear that she isn’t letting them feeding. So we took these two. So my question is what kind of milk/food/treats can I have them? I never raised hogs before. Any advice would be great

Wow, I've only had weened piglets for a week but they were about 8 weeks when I got them.
So they need some kind of milk for a while. Looks like the Google industry team is "milk replacer" this seems like a good article on it.
All else fails get some goats milk and warm it up for them for tonight if the farm store doesn't have anything. They'll dehydrate fast.

They should be kept around 70F degrees until you find better information, wild ones will be hardier. You can make them a nice pigaloo if you have an IBC tank and a good heat lamp. Check out the second half of this video. As they grow they prefer 60F.

This might not be legal depending on the state/country you live in.

Has the mother gotten up at all after giving birth? Any sort of movement or action from her? There was a similar situation at a barn I was at once and the mother pig was unable to pass the placenta. One of us has to glove up and help her. Does she have labored breathing? Is she in distress? Most of all the babies need warmth. Second of all they need to be fed around the clock. I used dried goat milk I got from TSC. How long have these babies been without food? They need milk and warmth Asap. If the mother is unable to care for them I would remove them and get a couple bottles and milk and feed them ASAP. be careful not to hold them upside down when giving them a bottle so they do not aspirate. That's a big mistake many people make when bottle feeding. Hold them tummy down and gently insert the nipple from the bottle and do not squeeze the milk into their mouths for them because you could give them too much. Try to get them to suck it out themselves. I do not know a ton about pigs, but I have had to rescue four piglets.

Oats are not good for them, my breeder said, so if for some reason you are tempted to serve Oatmilk, don't. At least for now I wouldn't start there. I said goats milk above because I think cows milk is harder to digest which is why that article said skim milk probably.

If you happen to have skim milk and bottles at home already warm it up and try it, at least it will get them some fluids.

My 9 week old ones LOVE the straw in their doghouse while they cuddle in the cold here.

If you don't have bottles or milk replacer on hand I would get to a store ASAP. Did the other three who died have any specific symptoms?

Wow, I've only had weened piglets for a week but they were about 8 weeks when I got them.
So they need some kind of milk for a while. Looks like the Google industry team is "milk replacer" this seems like a good article on it.
All else fails get some goats milk and warm it up for them for tonight if the farm store doesn't have anything. They'll dehydrate fast.

They should be kept around 70F degrees until you find better information, wild ones will be hardier. You can make them a nice pigaloo if you have an IBC tank and a good heat lamp. Check out the second half of this video. As they grow they prefer 60F.

This might not be legal depending on the state/country you live in.
Thank you! I definitely got up the store for a heat lamp!

Has the mother gotten up at all after giving birth? Any sort of movement or action from her? There was a similar situation at a barn I was at once and the mother pig was unable to pass the placenta. One of us has to glove up and help her. Does she have labored breathing? Is she in distress? Most of all the babies need warmth. Second of all they need to be fed around the clock. I used dried goat milk I got from TSC. How long have these babies been without food? They need milk and warmth Asap. If the mother is unable to care for them I would remove them and get a couple bottles and milk and feed them ASAP. be careful not to hold them upside down when giving them a bottle so they do not aspirate. That's a big mistake many people make when bottle feeding. Hold them tummy down and gently insert the nipple from the bottle and do not squeeze the milk into their mouths for them because you could give them too much. Try to get them to suck it out themselves. I do not know a ton about pigs, but I have had to rescue four piglets.
Oh wow! That was a great help. Thank you. I honestly don’t know when they last ate. The mother did move, she rolled over her other babies when they were trying to feed. But she didn’t move when we took the last two piglets. I only have lactose free milk. I’ll have to run to the store tomorrow. Thank you so much for this.

Back
Top Bottom