Pigmy Goat owners, question...

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Jenlyn9483, Jul 30, 2008.

1. Jenlyn9483

Jenlyn9483 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, FL
    For those of you that own pigmies.. Do the does milk..and if they do, how much milk per day?

Last edited: Jul 30, 2008
  2. Chatychick

Chatychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2007
    Blue Mound, Kansas
    Yes they can be milked but you wont get the amounts you get from the larger breeds. You will most likely get about a quart per goat. Unless they have good milking bloodlines. Most dont the Nigerians are the better milking goats for the smaller type goat. basically it all depends on genitics of the goats also. I milk my Nigis but they have good milking lines. Some think all small goats are pygmys but that isnt true either.

3. Jenlyn9483

Jun 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, FL
    A quart of milk per day is PLENTY for my family...Thanks for the info! Do they have to be milked twice a day like the nubians?

4. penelope77

penelope77 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2008
    northeast oklahoma
    heck if it has milk i'd milk it! i'd milk it twice a day unless you don't feel like it.

5. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    Yes, all goats must be milked twice a day (approx. 12 hours apart) just like cows.

6. Jenlyn9483

Jun 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, FL
    Good to know...I would love a sweet like Pigmy or Nigerian Dwarf doe to milk! Milk goats are not plentiful where i live...[​IMG]

7. buck-wild-chick

buck-wild-chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2008
    Hamilton C. FL
    its spelled, pygmy .... lol [​IMG] [​IMG]

I milked my pygmy doe for a few months.. she just dint produce alot of milk like a "MILK" breed

8. Skyesrocket

Skyesrocket Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    You really need to check the size of the teats. I'm experienced with goat milking and have small hands, but my pygmy was almost impossible to milk due to small teats.
    I milked her a few times because I needed her cholostrum and then quit as soon as I had enough.

9. Jenlyn9483

Jun 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, FL
    Quote:LOLOL I knew I was screwing that up...just to lazy to go and chk, LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by