Pigs Advice & Questions

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by enggass, Jan 26, 2011.

1. enggass

enggass Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Mid-Coast Maine
    Thinking about pigs in my future... I have a couple of questions...

How are they in cold climates?
    Do they need a companion or are they OK by themselves (and my family and our chickens of course)
    What sort of shelter do they need?
    What breeds should I look into for a pet, not too big, smart, friendly and adaptable?
    Is it best to get them when they are very young or at what age?

Thanks

2. Diamond Wire Farms

Diamond Wire Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2011
    Placerville, CA
    Haha! First a warning, pigs can be just as addicting as chickens...

There are many, many breeds of pigs. What are you looking for? A pet? A novelty? A farm pig?
    Keep in mind that most pigs get VERY large VERY quickly, and can be kind of a pain to handle, move...
    Some breeds that are smaller and often considered for hobby farms are Pot Bellied Pigs, Guinea Hogs, and KuneKunes. (Up to 240 pounds.)
    My avatar photo is our KuneKune gilt. Most pigs are smart and personable if socialized. If handled alot while they are young some pigs are like dogs.
    Since you don't have training issues, pigs can be adopted at any age, but babies are usually rehomed between 2 and 3 months of age.
    In general, most non-pink pigs can tolerate some cold. Where are you located? Our pigs are fine in shallow snow as long as they have access to a warm straw bed in the barn.
    Other heritage breeds of farm pigs that are popular: Old Spots, Mulefoots, and Red Wattles. But they get much larger. (Up to 1200 pounds.)

If you let me know what you are looking for, I may be able to give you some more specific links.

3. enggass

Mar 8, 2010
    Mid-Coast Maine
    I live in Maine - temps can dip below zero at times in the winter but average around 15-30º in the winter, 65-85º in the summer.
    A pet, not too big, smart, friendly, cold hardy and adaptable... any breeds that fit that description
    What about companionship. Would one pig do alright by itself?

4. tonkatuff

tonkatuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2008
    Orange County NY
    My pigs do fine in NY weather BUT they must have a good shelter and plenty of clean, dry straw bedding that is at least a foot deep for them to burrow in. And pigs are social herd animals that can get very stressed living alone so two pigs in a pod are a must! I increase their feed by about 25% in these freezing temps too to help them stay warm.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 26, 2011
  5. enggass

Mar 8, 2010
    Mid-Coast Maine
    Thanks. I love the second picture (closeup)... what breed is that? How old? How much does he/she weigh and how big will he/she get?
    What are some of the smaller breeds I should look into? Any advice appreciated...

6. JustAChickenLittle&More

JustAChickenLittle&More Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Florida
    Diamond, that pig is just tooooo cute. [​IMG]

7. tonkatuff

tonkatuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2008
    Orange County NY
    PS ~ I know I'll get a rash of sh!t for this but after owning PBP & now "hogs" I'll never keep a PBP again... to many temperament issues in the ugly little turds, as opposed to my big hunky farm hogs who are like puppies that let me do just about anything to them. BTW both my pigs are mixed breeds (both a yr old) and both are over 250lbs... who will tiptoe around me and then ever so gently lie down next to me when I go into their shed for a snuggle session.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2011
  8. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:Heeey! they are NOT ugly! [​IMG]

But i have heard the same thing! That hogs have a better temperment...
    Just too dang big for me to be wrestling with...

9. geepy

geepy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2009
    central FL
    Unless you adhere to a strict feed regiment, all pigs will get big. We have a wild hog for a pet and you can do anything with him. He is a bar (been neutered) hog. They are food hounds. Like dogs they can be protective of there owners. In Maine you do have to have a house and bedding for them in the winter. They are addicting.

10. enggass

Mar 8, 2010
    Mid-Coast Maine
    Quote:Do you have an idea of what mixed breeds?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by