Pigs and chickens

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Sisters chickens, Jul 22, 2018.

1. Sisters chickens

Sisters chickens In the Brooder

Jul 21, 2018
    Oklahoma
    I love mini pigs they’re my favorite animals. Weird I know. But can I keep my pigs and chickens together in the same pin and coops? Are does my pig need a different place to sleep in.

MROO likes this.
  2. sylviethecochin

sylviethecochin Free Ranging

Jun 14, 2017
    Central PA
    We used to keep a few pigs, when I was a kid. They happily ate everything, including other animals. I wouldn't keep them together.

Sisters chickens, aart and MROO like this.
  3. MROO

MROO Free Ranging

They may well get along, bit if you keep your pigs and chickens together, you'll never see another egg ... or chick.

4. x2
    Neighbor's pigs ate almost my entire flock a few years ago because they were underfed. They are vicious creatures when hungry. If you do keep one, please keep it well fed at all times. :(

5. anvia

anvia Songster

May 7, 2014
    Wales, UK
    We have free range hens who cheerfully march through the pig field - but they don’t live there. It’s going to depend on how you set it up. I wouldn’t trust my pigs an inch though. By nature pigs are clever omnivores... maybe ours are too well fed to bother going after a hen? - so far we’ve not lost any to the pigs.... yet.... maybe we’ve just been lucky? But I wouldn’t put them together unless you have no other option. If the pigs ever escape - they are straight to the hen house egg raiding & that’s annoying

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: