Pigs! Hogs! 4H!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by awesomefowl, Nov 18, 2010.

1. awesomefowl

awesomefowl Argues with Goats

I am probably going to raise a pig for 4H.
    Anybody else?

2. awesomefowl

Oink! Oink! I can't wait!

3. TeamChaos

TeamChaos Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    No, but I'm eager to read your experiences! (I'm hoping my daughter will join 4H this year)

4. poultryfan73

poultryfan73 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2010
    Tioga County Pa
    Last year was my first year and there wasnt one negative expierence! This year im raising another 2 plus a steer and a meat rabbit!

5. awesomefowl

Any tips? In the winter, is a stall (not very warm) or a large pen better? The stall would sure be easier for me. [​IMG]

6. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

The stall will work. Keep it clean & put in LOTS of hay, & the pig will burrow under to keep warm.

7. awesomefowl

Thanks! Once it is warm in the spring, I'll move him to the pig. Pork chops!!!!!

8. awesomefowl

Quote:I will keep it VERY clean as I don't perticularly love the smell of pig!

9. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

It was a NIGHTMARE for me & my brother(R.I.P.) when we were kids. Dad raised pigs in a stall in the barn & just threw down more hay when it got filthy. It was up to my brother(R.I.P.) & I to clean it out & put it on the garden. Every pitchfork load we tried to pick up had the haystring holding it down. Putting the haystring in with it made us FURIOUS, but we sure didn't tell dad.

10. awesomefowl

Quote:Oh dear! That sounds awful! I am not going to let it get filthy! I am a kid, and do not want to deal with that!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by