Pigs water in winter

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Redneckracing14, Sep 17, 2019.

1. Redneckracing14

Redneckracing14 In the Brooder

Jul 15, 2019
    I got pen made and nice shelter for them i want to raise couple feeder pigs currently i have 55 gal barrel with nipple water at bottom i live in Indiana so i no come January and February its going to get cold and snowy highs in the negatives some times any ideas how water pigs in winter with nipple.setup or is it a lost cause?

2. cassie

cassie Crowing

Mar 19, 2009
    There are water tank heaters available.

3. Redneckracing14

Jul 15, 2019
    Understand that didnt no if rhat would keep the nipple.unthawed

4. I have the same concerns about the nipple freezing. Luckily, I live in a climate where below freezing temps are typically short lived. The last 2 winters I have had pigs I just use a rubber pan and bust the ice out/refill it twice daily.

I know there are rabbit waterers available with heated nipples, but I have never looked for a larger nipple/container for hogs. Can you ask the local co-op or feed store what their customers use?

5. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

Here most people carry buckets of water out twice a day to their pigs. I water my Ducks the same way in the winter.

6. Redneckracing14

Jul 15, 2019
    Thats alot water to haul

chickens really likes this.
  7. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

Well definitely depends on the amount of pigs your watering..

8. Redneckracing14

Jul 15, 2019
    How high do yall put your nipples from the ground i currently have mine at 14 inchs?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: