Pigs

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by RhodeIslandReds, Oct 26, 2010.

1. RhodeIslandReds

RhodeIslandReds Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2010
    fl
    Hello all im looking to get 2 feeder pigs next spring and need some help. The main reason im getting the pigs is to butcher them and put them in the freezer for the winter. I just need some help on the housing, feeders & waterers , what type of fencing. If you have any info please feel free to share.

Thanks,
    RIRs

2. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

This would be the best forum for that question, it's a BYC sister site. They will probably come after me but there are lots of "pig people" there. [​IMG]

http://www.sufficientself.com/forum/

Steve

3. RhodeIslandReds

Mar 5, 2010
    fl
    What subjest should I look under?

Thanks,
    RIRs

4. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

5. RhodeIslandReds

Mar 5, 2010
    fl
    Okkay thanks..

6. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    Great thread on that first link too about hoggly wogglies [​IMG]

7. Dora'smom

Dora'smom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2009
    Oregon
    This place is a wealth of information! I had never seen the backyard herds site mentioned anywhere. Thanks for that link!

8. Royd Wood

Royd Wood Out Of The Brooder

Feb 2, 2010
    Please Go electric for the fencing - two low level strands will do it and even better a strong (chain link type fence) behind the hot wires. Pigs will get out without the hot wires as they will dig and root up most fences, it's really hard to capture escaped pigs.
    As for housing you need to remember the hogs are very strong and quite distructive also depends on climate - summertime they need shade shelter and winter time a dry windproof area with lots of straw which they will burrow into. For water there is a post on backyardherds about using a container with a large teat which we are going to try out. Fresh water at all times is a must. A low level steel feeder trough will be a good idea as again it will be tossed and turned over.
    Not sure what you plan to feed to them but again plenty of info and lots of different ideas at backyardherds - ours are Large Blacks which graze like cattle and love hay / veg scraps.
    Good Luck with your piggies and enjoy the pork (its not too hard to rear them)

9. SteveH

SteveH Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2009
    West/Central IL
    I second the suggestion for electric fencing , and coupled with hog panels available at any farm supply is also good . With two pigs , four panels anchored to steel posts will be be enough space , though you may want to go with a bigger pen if you can . Hogs are very destructive to sod if they're not wrung , and if you have objections to nose rings be prepared to have to level and seed the pen area when you're done . A simple " A frame " shelter with straw bedding will be adequate even in a cold climate ; if you live in a warm region all they need is a shade roof .
    While nearly everyone has eaten cured ham , those who have not tried an uncured ham roast have no idea what they are missing [​IMG] .

10. RhodeIslandReds

Mar 5, 2010
    fl

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by