Piles o' feathers...predator?

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Camelot Farms, Oct 8, 2009.

1. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

Nope! Just molting. lol

We have 40 some chickens and a few ducks running around our yard. Last night it looked like every chicken on the place must have been de-feathered by predators, but no....every cotton pickin' one of 'em is molting.

If the wind blows, the neighbors will think we are having a snow storm!

2. Lunachick

Lunachick Chicken Slave

Mar 19, 2007
    Brick, NJ
    I have one chicken moulting now and I think that's a lot of feathers....WOW - I can't imagine all those feathers from 40 chickens.......what do you do with them all?

3. bibliophile birds

bibliophile birds Chillin' With My Peeps

grab those feathers!!! you're letting money blow away. fly fishermen will pay you for some of those feathers (and the ones you get if you slaughter chickens) to make fishing flies.

4. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Between my geese, turkey, ducks and chickens, it looks like it's snowing in Florida on my front lawn..... [​IMG]

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    You can barely see the shavings in my coop for all the feathers. Poor babies.

6. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

Quote:I never thought of that....and my husband is a fly fisherman...lol

Thanks for the tip!

7. bibliophile birds

bibliophile birds Chillin' With My Peeps

no problem! it was one of the things i included in my "Why I Should Get Chickens" presentation that i made to the "Farm Council". see, 12 members of my family live here on the farm and major decisions have to be approved by the Council (which is usually all of us sitting around my grandparent's table, arguing about which "schemes" make sense and which don't) and there haven't been chickens here in probably 20 years.

luckily for me, my grandfather loves home grown stuff of any kind and my dad and uncle love fly fishing!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by