Pilgrim Gander gettin Evil over babies!

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Bleenie, Nov 3, 2010.

1. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

My new Pilgrim Gander, Lewis, has been getting pretty crabby lately since he discovered the babies in the brooder on the porch. he has started untying shoes, biting ankles... he has also succeeded in stealing the dogs bed! she is now sleeping out by the chickens!!

He nearly had a heart attack when i showed him the 4 new banty chicks that hatched today.. 2 seconds later he went after the dog when she tried to see them, lol. it's a little comical and i know he wont really hurt anyone, maybe just frighten them but does anyone think this will wear away? or is he just dying for babies and doesnt wanna wait until spring with Izzy?

Any info on the "fathering instincts" of Pilgrim Ganders is greatly appreciated, or Anything about their behaviour during breeding season so i know what to expect in spring!

2. ultasol

ultasol Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2009
    SE Washington
    It's a gander acting like a gander.

3. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

My last gander didn't act like this. Could it just be because Lewis is older and has probably had goslings before?

4. Olive Hill

Olive Hill Overrun With Chickens

Apr 19, 2009
    I personally wouldn't let him bite shoes and ankles, it's not cute. It's inappropriate behavior that leads to bigger, more dangerous inappropriate behavior. He's a gander being a gander, but that doesn't mean it's okay. He can be grumpy all he wants, biting people isn't okay.

5. TennesseeTruly

TennesseeTruly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Church Hill, TN
    It is gander behavior but its not okay for him to bite humans and you have to reprimand him for that.

Peter raised all our goslings alone. He wouldn't let any of the geese near them. But he did allow us humans near them. When Peter bites one of us, he is immediately picked up, (which he doesn't like) and is carried around. He's told that he is NOT the boss and that biting is not allowed.

We reprimand our roosters the same way. It works 99% of the time with the roosters and 100% of the time with Peter.

It's a sign that he'll be a good dad, Bleenie.

Laurie

6. KCchickens

KCchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2010
    Fayette county, IL
    Awww what a sweet ( kinda:) ) protective boy!

7. chickensducks&agoose

chickensducks&agoose Chillin' With My Peeps

be careful, my gander killed a bunch of our young chickens. Has been fabulous with all our baby waterfowl, but the chickens, not so much.

8. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

The only babies in our brooder are chicks, with the exception of 2 ducklings but they are scared of him i think, they always stay at the back, kinda hidden, when he come up.

I used to pick my last gander up when he would get an attitude and it seemed to work... he was just a lot smaller than Lewis! I will have to figure out the easiest way to pick him up/handle him to hold him in a "time out" for a minute when he started being a snot.... I guess I didn't think of it because he is so massive compared to my last gander, Owen, who was a White Chinese.

9. ultasol

ultasol Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2009
    SE Washington
    No, it's not ok, but a gander is not going to stay cute and act like a pet when there are babies around, he will be "evil over babies" and I can almost guarantee that if his mate hatches out goslings he will do more than nibbling your shoelaces.

It seems to be worse in ganders that are heavily imprinted by humans, or treated as pets, when young. They don't respect your space.

10. goosedragon

goosedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    Quote:Geese have the strongest father instincts of any of the common fowl. The Rooster may lookl at chicks with pride but leaves the work to the hens. Drakes can tend to be hostile to their own offspring, I aalways get the drakes away once a hen is setting. He usually has only one thing on his mind -mating and if the ducking is in the way too bad for him. The first hatch can confuse a gander but later he just loves to adopt, not only other fowl but I have had them try to adopt young rabbits, kittens, puppies and even one piglet!
    During breeding season he may want to keep you away from HIS ladies, but after they hatch ANY distress call from any gosling is likely to bring all the ganders running with battle in mind while moma will hang back and collect her goslings. If it was one of hers that squeeled she may be right after you too. Really it is not a good idea to upset a gosling. I don't think Pilgrims are different than other geese but it is easier to notice that all the white ones are after you. Gradually it does taper off as the young get old enough to fight their own battles. If a goose or gander really trusts you he will let you get close to the goslings, other wise it is look but don't touch.~gd

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by