Pilgrim Geese??'s pics.. Update pics of geese pg3

Discussion in 'Geese' started by r4eboxer, Nov 3, 2011.

1. r4eboxer

r4eboxer Crooked Creek Poultry

Sep 20, 2011
    Fairmont
    I was looking through our bulletin board this morning and someone has 5 Pligrim Geese for sale. I intended on getting geese in the spring. The only reason I was wating until spring is because of the breeding season and no eggs or goslings are available. But I see someone wants to sell theirs.

They are asking 75.00 for all 5. Three are males and two are females.

I am purchasing an out building today for my ducks. I will be getting day old ducks in about a week. I have a pond a small stream and a creek on my property. Can I house the geese and ducks together? If not what do I need for the geese. I do not have fencing up and plan on free ranging the ducks and the geese. They will have to share the pond and water.

eeekk, I am so excited to maybe be getting geese now that can give me eggs in the spring. I will cull two of the males as I think 3 males to two females is to much. Opinions on this? If you think it is cruel to cull please give me a reasonable solution. I have to take all 5 they will not sell seperate.

Anything anyone can tell me about Pligrim Geese is appreciated. I have started the google search but I know the valuable info is here from all of you.

Oh and what should I be looking for health wise. I don't want to introduce disease right away to my newly obtained flock of chicken and ducks. I am in WV so we have harsh winters sometimes. Somtimes we have very mild winters. Anything I need to know about housing/feeding them over the winter?

Here are some pics of the property.

[​IMG]
    This pic is of the apple trees and the pasture in the backround.

[​IMG]
    This is around the apple trees facing the pond, water was low in the pond this day so you can't see the water well. You can see the woodline in the backround. I will be getting a LGD and housing it between the pond area and the chicken coop.

[​IMG]

This is the pond, we will be reinforcing the east side of the pond to get a higher water level this winter as soon as the mud settles down some.

[​IMG]
    The field where they can free range

[​IMG]
    another view of the pond

Last edited: Nov 7, 2011
  2. r4eboxer

Sep 20, 2011
    Fairmont
    I guess no one knows? Anyway I just called about the geese and they are 4 years old.[​IMG] I hope that is not too old. There are 2 males now and 2 females because something got a male. Not a problem IMO.

If anyone can let me know if 4 is too old for a goose I'd appreciate it. I want eggs this spring.[​IMG]

3. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    That's a very good price and 4 years in a goose is quite young. They live a long time.

Geese need protection from predators. Their need for protection from the weather is pretty minimal.

I don't bring animals home until I have the proper place to house them. Can you get something ready for them?

If you cull those 4 year old ganders, the meat will be fine. just cook slow and low.

4. r4eboxer

Sep 20, 2011
    Fairmont
    Thank you Oregon blues, I am going to get them on Saturday. I just purchased a 10'x9' house for my 6 ducks today so I do have shelter for them. Yayyyyy:ya I can't wait to get my geese. She also said that they lay from March until July and she has sold the eggs on ebay for 8.00 a peice. She was renting 30 acres and the landlord sold the property and she has to sell all her stuff. She has Guiena's that I am going to try to catch for 10.00 a peice. She also has a greenhouse that I am drooling over. I get paid tomorrow and dang I have wanted a greenhouse for a while.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Just wanted to say Congrats on getting your geese, and I understand Pilgrims are very easy going and friendly geese. And you have a beautiful place to have them. I wouldn't put young ducks in with full grown geese though, maybe you can devide the building and have the geese on one side and ducks on the other. I am thinking of getting pilgrims or buffs my next time. Keep us updated on how they are and pics too. As far a sickness, geese and ducks are very hardy, but I would still be careful an not mingle them all together till you can be sure they are healthy. Storeys Book of Geese by Dave Holddread is awesome and a must for anyone wanting geese. All the best.

6. r4eboxer

Sep 20, 2011
    Fairmont
    Quote:Thanks! I can barely wait until sat morning. That is a good point about the young ducks. I can separate the building and that is a great idea.[​IMG]

I think if I am able to sell eggs during the laying season I will make my money back and then some. I do want to be sure these geese are not related. I think perhaps I should hatch some eggs myself first to be sure. I read the offspring will have knobs on the beak if interbred.

Oh how addicting poultry is. I started with 10 chickens 3months ago and now I have 26 chickens 6 ducks and 4 geese. My hubby wants pigs so we are going to get two this weekend as well. Ah gotta love livin in the country. [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 3, 2011
  7. Eroc1_1

Eroc1_1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2011
    We got some Pilgrim goslings in June. They are fantastic. They are calm and docile. Of course we did handle them A LOT! You'll enjoy them.

8. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:Thanks! I can barely wait until sat morning. That is a good point about the young ducks. I can separate the building and that is a great idea.[​IMG]

I think if I am able to sell eggs during the laying season I will make my money back and then some. I do want to be sure these geese are not related. I think perhaps I should hatch some eggs myself first to be sure. I read the offspring will have knobs on the beak if interbred.

Oh how addicting poultry is. I started with 10 chickens 3months ago and now I have 26 chickens 6 ducks and 4 geese. My hubby wants pigs so we are going to get two this weekend as well. Ah gotta love livin in the country. [​IMG]

Sounds like your on you way to having some awesome animals. as far as the geese being related I really don't think it matters that much, but if they aren't it would be good too. The person your buying them from did she know? Geese are so much fun, very intellegent, and seem to think for themselves. Hopefully they will accept the ducks and they will all be one flock, I only have one goose and he lives very well with my ducks. So will looking forward to pics as you get them. And yep they are addicting!!

9. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    I have a pair of Pilgrim geese, and they are very good tempered. Ganders are not quite like drakes or roosters that mate with each and every female in the flock if they can. They tend to pick one mate to breed and nest with, so you would not want to cull the gander. And the females lay for many breeding seasons. My geese get along fine when free ranging with the ducks, but a divided shelter is not a bad idea. Inbreeding is not as problematic with birds as it is with mammals. They would have to be in bred for a few generations in a row to cause any concern I believe. Geese are even more winter hardy than ducks, you just need to make sure that they have water that stays unfrozen. I like to give my geese and ducks feed that is specifically formulated for water fowl. Always be on guard for spilled feed that might develop mold - those silly water fowl manage to get most everything wet.

10. r4eboxer

Sep 20, 2011
    Fairmont

Sounds like your on you way to having some awesome animals. as far as the geese being related I really don't think it matters that much, but if they aren't it would be good too. The person your buying them from did she know? Geese are so much fun, very intellegent, and seem to think for themselves. Hopefully they will accept the ducks and they will all be one flock, I only have one goose and he lives very well with my ducks. So will looking forward to pics as you get them. And yep they are addicting!!

I did ask her if they were related and she said no. I want to be sure before selling eggs so I think I will hatch some out before advertising. I'd hate to sell someone inbreed geese. I have read online that inbreeding causes skinny necks and you will know if they are inbred if there is a knot on the bill/beak in this breed. I also want to be sure they are true pilgrims as I read a thread here where an op bought geese that she was told were pilgrims and they ended up being something else. I want to advertise correctly if I am going to be so lucky as to sell some fertile eggs. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by