Pilgrim Geese

benjensen842

In the Brooder
10 Years
Feb 5, 2009
Indiana
Read that Pilgrim Geese are calm--worth noting in light of all the recent posts and grow fast---anyone have experience raising these? Are they good foragers? How do they compare with toulouse in regard to rate of growth and foraging ability?

I have a pair and they are great together. There are a few people with them around here. Most of the ones around here are in pairs or in a larger flock. I only see the locals sell them as pairs not trios but I am not sure if there is a reason why. I do know that they don't mate as often as my Embden pair did. These are quieter and milder about most things and perhaps the ganders might find 2 girls a bit much. I know that my Embden gander would mate with his girl many times a day. These Pilgrims that I have seem to be mating about twice a day. Not sure if that is standard or not for the breed but going by my Pilgrim gander that I have I would have to guess pairs.

As far as the breed goes I can't recommend them enough. They are wonderful. My previous Embdens were a bit smarter, louder and much more aggressive. I had a Toulouse goose for awhile and she was pretty easy going as well but I really do prefer the Pilgrims. Also the color link is really nice. Knowing males and females at a glance is more handy then you would think. I also think that their easy going nature makes them a good first goose breed if you haven't had geese before. Some of this will depend on the individual geese and also on how much you want to work with them. If your getting geese I think you will be happy with the Pilgrims. I know I am.

I'm interested too! I was thinking about getting geese next year.
smile.png
Hope somebody knows.

Pilgrims are the supreme breed (IMO) We have a "large flock" I think last count there are 5 trios of breeders, 2 young hens, and 4 young ganders. 21 total! We don't feed them grain, if they get it, it is from the spillage produced by the other birds. They free range around our property and have access to the barn, pasture, lawn and pond. They do great, are decent meat birds (though we don't eat them) and they grow reasonably fast. Plus they are auto-sexing making it great for raising out extra males if you want some to butcher. I don't have a lot of time at the moment, but will check back later and comment more.

I have a mated pair that I just bought recently. They are great. Very self suffcient. They are not noisy at all, don't pester me like the Africans and cause no trouble. They won't go into the safe house at night but are still alive and well. I really like them!

I don't raise them, have Buffs but I know a lady who has them and they're just wonderful. Very friendly, calm and sweet natured. If I didn't have the Buffs I'd have Pilgrims but I like my Buffs too. It's funny to see those great big birds protecting the flock one minute and sitting in my six year old's lap and nuzzling with her the next.

The reason I chose to raise Pilgrims was they are gentle and quiet, a medium sized goose; non aggressive for sure. They are also one of the only breeds that can be sexed at birth for gender; males are yellow and females are gray. At around 6 months they are almost fully grown. A female will lay usually around 50 eggs per breeding season. They take care of themselves wonderfully. When they are goslings we feed them grass clippings and they grow so fat ! At feeding time they are noisy because they know mommy is going to feed them, otherwise I don't know they are in the yard. A truly wonderful breed if you have never raised geese before. Backyard Poultry features the Pilgrims on their cover this month, this will help you too. It has an article by Dr. Dennis Smith who has raised them for many years.
smile.png

7892_hpim2418.jpg

7892_hpim2419.jpg

Back
Top Bottom