Pilgrim Goose Temperament

adrian

Songster
10 Years
May 12, 2009
Regina, SK
I have some pilgrim goose eggs that should hatch in early/mid June... I've heard they have great temperaments, but I wanted to know what everyone here thinks.

Also, how are african geese?

I think Pilgrim geese had the best temperment of all I have had. They are not very bold but not so docile or flightly as to panic if you raise your voice to them. My romans were more docile but very flighty. The goose would get off her nest and go hide while I was filling the feed dish or changing the water, she never did manage to hatch anything so the second year I put three of her eggs under the pilgrim who hatched them and 6 of her own. the Filgrim would hiss at me which brought the gander into the picture but she stayed tight on her nest
Africans can be laid back when they reach massive size but mine were hell on wheels while they wer growing up (about 2 years). hope this helps some.

Pilrims are very quiet calm geese. Africans it depends if they are pure Africans or Hatchery Africans which are actually Brown Chinese are very loud Pure Africans are in betwwen louder than Pilgrims but alot quieter than chinese.

jumpy.gif
GOOD LUCK ON YOUR HATCH!!
jumpy.gif

Ryan

Thanks for your replies! My pilgrims are going to be pure-bred, and come from high-quality stock that were a part of the university's breeding program. The university does very well with their animals from what I hear. The breeder told me that they were very quiet and enjoyable. The Africans are also pure-bred, not sure about their bloodlines as much, but they will be raised with humans. I've heard of Africans being really docile and gentle, but we'll have to see.

I'm particularly looking forward to pilgrims. Being sexually dimorphic is a great bonus.
big_smile.png

I'll be sure to post lots of pictures when they do hatch.

my neighbor has a flock of about 20 pilgrim geese. In fact i was hoping to get the goslings this year
wink.png
! But his geese are very sweet, especially if yo uhave bread or vegetables. We take the kids from our church there to feed them al the time, and the kids love it! (so do the geese lol)

Back
Top Bottom