Pilgrims Pipping!!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by tsodak, Apr 6, 2009.

1. tsodak

tsodak Out Of The Brooder

Feb 5, 2009
    Britton SD
    We have five goose eggs in the bator, and the first has just pipped!!! This is day 29, and we are currently at 5 live eggs out of 8 ebay pilgrims. This is our first time trying to hatch geese, and it is a lot more work than the chickens!!! We turned three times religously, and cooled and misted until day 25. We took 3 out at candling, but we are happy about 5 out of 8 developing. When I saw the first one had pipped we filled the water int he batore and I did a little listen check. I could hear the gosling in 4 of the five eggs, and maybe a ticking in the fifth. (uncertain). Anyway, I know folks sometimes lose a lot of goslings at hatching, but I think sometimes they take a long time to zip after they pip??? If you were guessing, how long should I expect to wait for the first gosling after the pip???

Tom

2. keeperofthehearth

keeperofthehearth Chillin' With My Peeps

Sorry I can't help you with your question but wanted to say Congrats on the goslings and hope all goes well.

3. tsodak

Feb 5, 2009
    Britton SD
    We ended up needing to help some. I think the humidity was just a touch low. Of the five that developed, we have 4 that are out and really good, and one that may have been helped a little too much. Still moving, but not very vigorous.

It is so hard to figure when to help.

Anyway, they are still drying so we cant really tell sexes yet. When they are wet they all look the same.[​IMG]

4. DuckyBoys

DuckyBoys Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Congratulations! You did good! Now show us pics! [​IMG]

5. Chickenhatcher89

Chickenhatcher89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2008
    Lawrenceburg, TN
    [​IMG] Way to go! I am incubating geese eggs for the first time also have 8 in the incubator [​IMG]. Can't wait to see your pics.

6. tsodak

Feb 5, 2009
    Britton SD
    All eggs hatched succesfully. I am a little disappointed that the sexing did not appear to work in this breeding, unless they are all female. One is distictly lighter, but not like I expected at all. Looks like these may not be great breeders, but they will get us a start.

Tom

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 9, 2009
  7. Harley's girl

Harley's girl Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] Beautiful! [​IMG]

8. ksacres

ksacres At Your Service

Nov 16, 2007
    San Antonio TX
    Maybe the seller only thought they had pilgrims?

9. gwennym

gwennym Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2008
    Edwardsville, IL
    They are absolutely darling!

I have 4 goose eggs pipping as we speak -- started yesterday with one egg, then this morning, holes in the others. I'm pretty thrilled, as it's my first hatch with goose eggs.

Thanks so much for sharing the pics.

Gwen

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by