Pilgrims

Discussion in 'Geese' started by CHICKEN CRAZY1, Dec 3, 2012.

1. CHICKEN CRAZY1

CHICKEN CRAZY1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Can you keep pilgrim geese with chickens in the same pen and house? Are Pilgrim geese gentle?

2. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    Geese need to free range to graze (grazing should be 90% of their diet), they do not do well pen in runs 24/7. They should also have their own space for lock up at night, you wouldnt want them sleeping under the chicken roost and being pooped on all night. You also would want them being mean (in breeding season) to the chickens when they lay eggs and defende their nest area.

3. CHICKEN CRAZY1

Could they be used as gaurd birds?

4. CelticOaksFarm

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    They wont protect your chickens if thats what you are hoping for. Geese are mostly bluff when challenged unless defending their own nest. they are easily attacked and injured or killed by dogs, raccoon, coyote to name a few predators.

5. CHICKEN CRAZY1

Thanks for the input! I have changed my mind about gaurd geese.If I had not asked those questions it would have been a disaster.

6. CelticOaksFarm

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    Welcome, I dont think youo would have had a disaster, but you would have ended up building the geese their own house for sure.

7. CHICKEN CRAZY1

Well,maybe not,but I would not have had a very good time learning it. Thanks for answering my questions.

8. CelticOaksFarm

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    welcome, always enjoy talking goose. Selecting the right breed for your needs is always a fun process too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by