1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pine, Aspen, Alfalfa, shavings/pellets/hay, paper-based litter???

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by coleridgedane, Jan 9, 2012.

1. coleridgedane

coleridgedane Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2011
    Marietta, GA
    Would like everyone's opinions on either/neither/never. For day-old chick brooder.

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    I use a thin layer of kitty litter then shavings on top of it.

3. Duramaxgirl

Duramaxgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2010
    Idaho
    For baby chicks I use pine shavings covered up with paper towels. I replace the paper towels once or twice aday depending on how many chicks I have. chicks can eat shavings so that's why I cover them with the towels. Also they need a grippy type flooring so they don't get crippled that's why I also use paper towels on shavings so it isn't a flat slick surface.
    Never use cedar... Its to strong smelling for chicks. I've never used hay or straw for chicks.

4. tec27

tec27 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Pittsburgh
    For the first couple days i just use a paper towel. My chicks always try to eat the wood shavings and then they get sick. Idiots. But then i add pine shavings like ones that would be used for a hamster or guinea pig. Never use cedar, its toxic to chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by