Pine Bedding vs Newspaper

Discussion in 'Quail' started by LostinQuailLand, Nov 22, 2010.

1. LostinQuailLand

LostinQuailLand Out Of The Brooder

Hello Everyone!

I have a "five step" program going on with my quail and would like to have some input from Bobwhite Fans and Foes.

Steps:

1. Eggs in Hova Bator
    2. Eggs in Incubator
    3. Chicks in Brooder in my spare bedroom. Brooders consist of plastic bins or tubs with tops inverted and wire mess. I use paper towels on the floor during this step.
    4. Once feathers begin I move them to pens in my garage. These pens are made of plywood 3/4 inch and wire. The ones that were made first, before I realized that wire floors were oh so much better, have plywood floors. In these I use newspaper and change this twice a day. Its not so bad.
    5. Outside pen for those I keep, freedom for those I don't.

I noticed a number of people saying that they use pine shavings on the floors of some of their pens. Ive also seen this in photos. First, I thought pine was not good for animals but I could be mistaken. Second, IS pine BETTER than newspaper?

Thank you!

2. Robo

Robo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    Aspen bedding is the way to go. I like pine rather than newspaper to prevent spayed leg. I use aspen bedding mixed with a small amount of corn-cob bedding.

3. joe125

joe125 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    After about 72 hours, coturnix chicks can stand on most surfaces. It's just a matter of what you want to smell.... Quail poo on pine, quail poo on aspen, quail poo on newspaper, etc.

4. FloridaDoulaMama

FloridaDoulaMama Out Of The Brooder

Oct 16, 2010
    sarasota, florida
    I'm letting my chicks hang in the incubator for a bit to dry off, then will move them to peat moss, b/c I have a lot of it for gardening... not sure on how it'll work, but we'll see [​IMG]

5. Robo

Robo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    That seems like a good idea. I have some little peepers trying to bust out of the bator right now.

6. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Quote:EXACTLY... NEWSPAPER IS FREE SO THERE'S A BONUS! [​IMG]

7. Rozzie

Rozzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Newspaper is only free if I abscond with it from the free shopper displays around here.

Ahem. Oh, wait, there is a limit of one per "customer?" Ah, well, okay, let's see. I'm a customer. My son is a customer. My dog is a customer, my cats are three customers, my birds are...

Oh, one per Household? Ah, darnit...

(never mind what I use to start my fireplace...)

8. JJMR794

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Lemme Re-phrase That... Old News Paper Is Free [​IMG]

9. Rozzie

Rozzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Oh, I knew what you meant. I don't get a news subscription, though. In fact, most folks I know subscribe online or read online now. I think I only know a couple of people who get the newspaper anymore.

I abscond with 3-4 of the shoppers every time I see a stand, though. [​IMG] I need em for the coupons. Oh, wait. They don't HAVE coupons most of the time. Sometimes they do, so that's my story and I'm sticking to it...[​IMG]

10. JJMR794

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Make Friends With Old People-- They Dont Like Computers [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by