Pine Needles - Good or Bad???

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by 1st Coop Hen, Feb 22, 2014.

1. 1st Coop Hen

1st Coop Hen Out Of The Brooder

Feb 17, 2014
    I am new to chickens. I have been doing a lot of reading on this page to get more educated. However, I have come across a contradiction on whether to use pine needles or not.

I am not sure the type of pine trees we have in our yard but I know they have the long pine needles. I would like to use the pine needles in my coop. I found some threads here that pine needle make great bedding material. but then I found a thread that people were telling the person not to use them and that she should cut all the pine trees down. UGH

Someone tell me, can I use the pine needles or not???

So confused!

2. Debs55

Debs55 Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't use them as bedding but one of my runs is built around a huge pine tree so the needles are every where and have never been a problem

3. henless

henless Chillin' With My Peeps

I plan on putting down pine shavings first in my coop. Then when my chicks get a bit bigger, I have about 15 large bags of leaves/pine straw raked up to add to the coop.

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Pine needles are not bad per say...but they wouldn't make great bedding on a coop floor because they are not absorbent and they do not decompose quickly in a compost situation.

They might be fine to line the nests with tho.

5. 1st Coop Hen

1st Coop Hen Out Of The Brooder

Feb 17, 2014
    Thanks everyone! I think I will use them for the nest for now. They are out free ranging right now and they are loving the needles. I just went and looked on them and there are like 7-8 open dirt spots all around the needles. Amazing how they work! And I only have 3 hens (one's a pullet) and a rooster.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by