Pine needles?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by cluckfan, Oct 18, 2011.

1. cluckfan

cluckfan Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2011
    Bloomfield KY
    Has anyone tried Pine needles in their runs? We have several white pines that are shedding at this time of the year. I raked and ended up with enough to lay down in my coop run. They have a big grassy yard as well. Of course they are having a ball digging through all the needles. Has anyone had any problems with using this material?[​IMG]

2. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    It should be fine, and the scratching should help compost the needles faster.

3. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    I posted on another thread about the pine needles. I rake them out of my run mainly because I clean my run every day. When the chickens have that loose poop, it is impossible to clean. I have to pick up a good bit of straw to get one poop pile out. If you intend to clean it, keep it out.

4. Tracydr

Tracydr Chillin' With My Peeps

I use pine needles in my run. I basically use a DLM in the area my chickens hang out under my trees and bed it deeply with pine needles and alfalfa hay. As it breaks down and compacts I add more. Keeps it clean, soft and nice for hanging out. Underneath is a thick layer of large gravel.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by